Fort de Soto - and/or Buntings?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
We plan to visit Fort de Soto April 15 and 16th.

Any advice?

Also, I'd love to find Painted Buntings......anyone seen them there or know where to look?

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
Regarding a painted bunting - the only place that I know of where you are guaranteed to see a painted bunting is in Corkscrew Sanctuary near Ft. Myers. There is a left fork off of the main boardwalk just after you enter the sanctuary that has a painted bunting in a large enclosed area. If you are patient, you can always get a shot of it in a setting that appears to be "in the wild".

Not exactly in the neighborhood of DeSoto (probably a 2 hr drive south), but if you have the time and are interested in bird photography, Corkscrew, Ding Darling and the Venice Rookery are all in the same general area and fantastic places to shoot birds.

Well worth the trip south if your schedule permits.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Rick, thanks for the info.

The Florida Birding map indicates that buntings should be around Fort de Soto, but most folks seem to find them much further south.

Not sure I can get hubby to migrate that far south AGAIN this year! LOL! I dragged him down there for 4 weeks earlier in the year.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Hi, Troy!

Thanks for the info! White morph, hmmmmm. Before the trip, I've got to read up on buntings, habitat, behaviors, etc.

As usual, I'll try to shoot whatever I find! LOL!

Latest threads

Top Bottom