Forum Consolidation Ideas!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris101, Oct 21, 2005.

What do you think of the proposed change?

Poll closed Nov 20, 2005.
  1. Great idea! Just like you said.

19 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Good idea, but keep the Lens Lust forum separate.

23 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. I've got a better idea and explain it below.

13 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. I like things just the way they are now!

23 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Catz', great thread about the activity level here, brings up the question of the structure of the Nikon Cafe. One of the main ideas is consolidation of some of the fora so there are less of them.

We can ponder this all we want, but it is you who use this system, so we don't want to change anything without getting your ideas. Any changes made will be done with everyone's ideas into mind.

The first proposed change is to consolidate all of the gear fora into one forum. That is, the following:
    the Nikon D2, x, h, hs forum,
    the Nikon D100, D70(s), D50 forum,
    the Nikon D1, D1h, D1x forum,
    the Coolpix forum,
    the Other cool gear forum,
    AND the Lens Lust forum;
    all be combined into a single Gear forum.

Please give us your thoughts on this change, and be sure to vote in the poll!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. I don't think we can consolidate it so much so easily.
    One possibility is this:
    D2 forum, +D1 forum, +D100 (a la dpreview, the pro cameras and the pro backup, later adding D200) +Fuji/Kodak hybrids

D70/D50 forum- Amateur DSLRs. Possibly including D100 instead of grouping it above.
    Tripods, heads, Coolpixes and more forum- basically everything else.

Lens Lust

OR perhaps

DSLRs forum- All of them grouped together...though I must say I prefer distinguishing between major strata...
    Other stuff forum
    Lens Lust forum

no matter what the LENS LUST Forum MUST remain separate!

Having said all this, the new posts button may be a blessing and a curse...I use it a lot to find new posts, but its almost an easy way out...I don't browse as much as I used to and I don't think I reply as often as I should.

3. I like the idea that Greyflash and Rich Gibson had but it is not listed here on this thread. They had great ideas.

4. Can I echo CATZ's reply. Please, can we actually start off with 'Greyflash's list and work through it a section at a time. As an Accountant I find that although this type of analysis is a pain to some, in the end up with a small compact list just look the beginning of a Trial Balance to a Balance Sheet.

Don't forget one of the most famous books on Companies and their Accounts was titled. ' Small is Beautiful.'

Best Wishes. Bob F.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    First of all, I want to say I'm against a separate Lens Lust forum. Afterall, it is gear, yet to be owned gear, but gear nonetheless, so it needs to be part of the Gear forum. Remember folks, we are proposing integration of these forums to reduce their sheer numbers. We must make a few sacrifices to make this happen.

We can't model our forums "like DPR's". Their user base is much, much larger than ours, so what works over there, simply doesn't apply here. People just need to clearly state what they want to talk about in their subject lines.

Also, I say all picture threads should be consolidated. No need to separate them. Is it a flower pic, or a macro pic of a flower, who cares? Again, clearly state in subject line what it is. If you want your pics critiqued, just say so!

The way I envision it is like this (in no particular order:

"Cafe Announcements/Rules/Office" it's own forum.

"New Member Introductions" need their own forum.

"Pictures" in general it's own forum.

"Equipment" consolidated into just a single forum.

"For Sale" of course, needs it's own forum.

"Post Processing" of all types given it's own forum.

"Challenges" it's own forum.

Also, a much needed "My Threads" link on the front page could be put to good use.

This major consolidation down of more the than 35 forums we have now, which, if you think about it, is insane for the number of members we have here, to just 6. Simple, perfect. K.I.S.S.

In my jaundiced eye, and to steal a quote from the Guinness Beer commercial: BRILLIANT :Exclamati

(btw, this took me an hour to draft this proposal) :redface:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2005
  6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I do not care for seperte camera type forums !!!!!!

7. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Two cents here....

Combine all the gear but make two camera areas. One for SLR's the other for point and shoots. Perhaps seperate the pro bodies from the non-pro bodies.

8. In my opinion, again, Lens lust needs its own forum.
    This is NikonCafe. The Home of Lens Lust! We need a designated infectious disease area! :wink:
    Lenses will be lenses will be lenses. Combine cameras into one or two forums....combine everything else into larger consolidated forums...but Lenses aren't ordinary gear. They're expensive and they're fun....Grouping them with cameras...lenses aren't bodies...grouping them with other gear...they aren't tripods either.
    The lens is the heart of the Nikon system. The least we can do is to assure that they are recognized as such... and if someone has a body question, let them ask it without being infected by LLD

9. I'll second Steve S's break down (for the second time, see the Catz thread... :smile:), with one minor change: Lights are also gear, and the traffic on that forum is not large enough to justify it being separate. Lens Lust is definitely gear as well, and if properly titled very easy to spot from other gear discussion (put an [LLD] in the title for instance).

If all pictures are a bit too much to put in a single forum, we need to balance them by amount of traffic (not amount of people reading, but by new threads).

For pictures, I am fine with: Animals (wild or not), People (Portraits and everything else people do, including sports and mechanical sports), and Other (Nature, eg. flowers, macros and landscape, Architecture, you name it).

My $0.02.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, Philippe, I'll have to agree with you here, and am swayed to your way of thinking. Realise, I did this proposal several hrs before dawn this morning, and was still on my 1st cup of coffee. :wink: Lighting is indeed "Gear", or as I've made a suggested change to that forum's name, to simply "Cameras & Equipment". (Afterall, some folks with whom English isn't their native tongue, might get a bit confused by the name "Gear").
    Since it doesn't get a lot of play on it's own, it should also be consolidated into "Cameras & Equipment".

11. I'll probably get hung for this but here goes....

At the end of the day, split up the different boards anyway you want. But (ADD) a new board that lists all the different threads from different boards that have seen action in say the past 24-hours. List them so the last post on a given thread will cause that thread to pop to the top of this board.

This will allow the user to log on that page and very quickly determine if there is any thread he wants to go visit in (any) of the different forums. So from this page you can get a snap-shot of everything that is happening on the complete site and see were you want to go.

It will tell you that John Doe just posted a new post on the bird forum. Or that this other thread has had 45 replies on the gear forum.

Set this board up so no one can post directly on to it. So it will still force them to post their bird image on the bird forum. But yet the larger group can see the title of that post and how many replies it has gotten on this (summery board).
    Just my .02

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    While I do agree with reducing the number of sub-fora, I don't think this all has to be done in one swell foop of an effort. An incremental change might work a touch better. To that end, consider :

- DLSR sub-forum
    - P&S sub-forum
    - LLD sub-forum
    - Other stuff sub-forum (tripods, other gear, etc.)

If you look at the throughputs for the existing LLD sub-forum, it's viable on its own. There's really some question in my mind if we need a DSLR and a P&S sub-forum, but better to make the changes gradually.

I am adamantly opposed to lumping all the picture sub-fora together or into two or three sub-fora. One of the worst features of DPR is that there are basically a few sub-fora for the Nikon users, and too much gets lumped into those sub-fora. Here I can look at the Birds and Animals easily, then switch over to Landscapes. One can see just how all of this plays out by the number of posts and views by sub-forum. Having said that, I also greatly enjoy seeing the "Other Light" type stuff in its own sub-forum, because I can very easily and quickly find the materials, even if we don't have 5,000 posts a month to that sub-forum.

In fact, being able to see materials of specific interest by sub-forum is one reason I've stayed with this forum. I don't have to try and read through six screens to find items or discussions of interest, while trying to plod through the morass of measurebation or "my body's better than yours" rubbish on other online fora.

Let's not be precipitate in trying to cut this tree down to just a few branch sub-fora all at once, but perhaps just do some simple initial pruning on a bit of it, and then see how that helps.

John P.

13. I vote to keep the Cafe the same as it is now. I don't want to see Lens Lust and Landscapes and Night Photography and Post Processing get deleted. I think the foras we have now work great. I know there are a lot of them but I have no problem navigating around them.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Statistics

Here are the number of threads participated in for the last month in the various non-gallery fora:
    New Members - 30 *
    General - 184 *
    D2 - 28
    D100,70,50 - 18
    D1 - 4
    Coolpix - 4
    Other Gear - 19
    Technical - 81
    Retouching - 39
    Lens Lust - 56
    For Sale - 66 *
    Challenge - 8 *
    Places - 8
    Lighting - 10
    Office - 4 *

* these fora will not be consolidated because they have a specific purpose.

Consolidating all gear except LL:
    New Members - 30 *
    General - 184 *
    Cameras and Equipment - 83
    Technical - 81
    Retouching - 39
    Lens Lust - 56
    For Sale - 66 *
    Challenge - 8 *
    Places - 8
    Office - 4 *

Now, if we also combined Lens Lust into a Cameras, Equipment and Lens Lust forum:
    New Members - 30 *
    General - 184 *
    Cameras, Equipment and Lens Lust - 139 **
    Technical - 81
    Retouching - 39
    For Sale - 66 *
    Challenge - 8 *
    Places - 8
    Office - 4 *

** Working title for this hypothetical forum

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Melissa,

I'm not proposing that we make any changes to any of the gallery categories at this time. Consolidation of the gear fora (see how some of them get very little traffic) is the only thing I'm suggesting. And I see the popularity of the Lens Lust forum (and that particular title!)

16. I see what you mean now Chris.

Thanks for sharing the info.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ha! Great minds ... huh, Melissa! I made the poll run for one month. We are in no hurry to change the fora around just for the sake of change. These changes have been being discussed by the admins and mods for several weeks. Patrick suggested in those discussions that we put these questions to the members officially.

Far from being your fault, you have provided a good background for these discussions to take place. The goal, afterall, is to make the Cafe easier and more inviting to participate in.

Thank you!

18. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I'm tired of reading

Just hope the D200 shows it's face real soon.

Birger

19. How do we vote? I only see stats?

Thanks,

20. What do you mean by that Gale?