Foul weather

I use the ThinkTank Modular system. Each of the components come with a removable wet weather protective cover. I don't shoot for a living so when it starts to precipitate harder, I pack it up.

I spent 10 days in the Philippines a few months ago. I had condensation problems going back and forth between A/C car or building and outside and also my sweaty face and hands. I have silica gel packs in my bag and allowed my equipment to get acclimated to the environment before I took it out of the bag.

Boy, do I have a bunch, and I would classify them as "rain is forecast, gonna happen, put the cover on first" to "Hey, where did the rain come from?".

In the first category I have the Kata solution, choose Elements Covers from the "By Type" navigator. THey are modular, quite nice and keep all the rain out. I also have the Think Tank Hydrophobia, the advantage of the THink Tank is that you can put it on prior and it is out of the way, for the most part, you just unroll it when the rain starts. When I know that I will be in hard rain for extended time, hours not minutes, or I want protection from the elements, such as ocean spray, these are the way to go, if for no other reason than just to keep the "gunk" off the gear.

For the second category, my current favorite, and I keep at least 6 or 8 of these with me at all times, is the Optech Rainsleeve. They are cheap, quick to deploy, more difficult to use than the others, and I wouldn't be without them. They are not quite as "complete" in coverage, especially on the back side, but they are very adequate. And you can buy a lot of these for the price of the Hydrophobia.

Now, remember, where I live a bit of rain is just a way of life :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom