Found A Feature, By Accident!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken-L, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I was finished taking shots of Xmas displays and was getting into my car while trying to turn off the D200. Apparently I was pushing the selector switch the wrong way to turn it off and it "felt funny" so I looked down and saw that the top display was lighted!

Later, looking closer at the on-off switch I saw the icon..... I had gone through the manual selectively, trying to just learn the menus, exposure, metering and focusing settings, but never saw the item about the lighted display. My D70 didn't have this, so I wasn't expecting it. Nice feature.

2. erm...The D70 has a display backlight....the D50 doesn't, but the D70 does. It's the small round one right next to the display...
    In fact isn't it one of the buttons for the 2 button format on the D70?

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks...... That's right - I forgot about it! It's been a while since I used my D70! I hadn't been able to use a camera since October 18th when I was hospitalized, and the D200 arrived so there we are!

4. heh...I can barely even use my D70 now... it feels so...wrong?
    Not good enough at least.
    looking at the top info panel is almost like trying to look into the VF after the D200 :biggrin:

5. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Ken, first I have to say bad boy for not reading your manual. Nikon has had the illumination button tied in with the power control on all the D1 and D2 series cameras and that is where it is on my F5 also.

There is a custom setting, not sure what number, that you can set to turn on the illumination by pushing any button. Not sure why anyone would want that.

6. I have that turned on for my D2X. I can read the displays much better if they are lit.

Why the left the backlight off of the D50 is beyond me. Much harder to read.

I have seen D50 ads where the display appear lit, too! :mad:

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't use it all the time, but it can certainly be useful in low light.

Cost-cutting. And because they need some features to differentiate the D70 from the D50.

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I think this would be extreme cost-cutting - a LED costs perhaps a few cents, and the extra button another few cents. I guess it's more a matter of differentiating.

9. Silly cost cutting.

But the real problem is, the camera is much less useful without it.