1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Found a good deal on a 17-35/2.8 in Bangkok. Broke down and bought it!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by craig.martell, Aug 25, 2008.

1. I found an EX to EX+ copy of the 17-35/2.8 at FotoFile in the MBK shopping center in Bangkok for 35,000 Baht. That's about $1040. FotoFile is a good store, with a good reputation, and I got a 3 month in store warranty. That was enough for me. This lens would go for $1250 on KEH, so I am pretty happy.

I have realized during this trip that to capture Bangkok, you need to capture street life. And my 35-70 just wasn't wide enough. I hope to hit the streets early tomorrow, and if any of the shots are good enough, I will surely post them.

For now, here are two of the guy who sold it to me. I never got his name, but his boss's name was Mr. King Kong. I am not sure why.

ISO720, 17mm, f/2.8, 1/100s
    2795581667_1e0534c4cf_b.

ISO1100, 35mm, f/2.8, 1/100s
    2795591233_01dbd7c18d_b.

Craig

2. Andrew, I am going to try to dedicate the day to it tomorrow. I am still jet lagged, but I hope to get to bed early enough to make an early start of it.

Thanks Sonya. I am looking forward to it.

3. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    Hi Craig,
    That is a well respected shop.
    The folks that work there are usually on the ball.
    A little claustrophobic in there...like shopping in a phone booth.
    They have another shop on the third floor with lots of accessories.

For a real treat, visit the main Nikon Center on Silom/12.
    They can do full service on your gear.
    The owner and staff there are top notch and you can view his private photography museum upstairs. Very impressive collection.

I have some shots of Bangkok here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10603108@N08/

4. Congrads Craig!!!! I'm jealous for sure... Be sure to post some more samples.

I broke down and ordered the Tamron and I'll just have to cross my fingers that it works out for me. I guess it's a good thing that I did get the Tamron, as I can always blame my the lens for the photos that don't come out... :biggrin:

Since a lot of us are now moving to FX, maybe we should start a "FX Wide Angle Samples" thread????? Even though I've already made my pick, I'd still like to see what the lens options have to offer in FX and I'm sure a lot of others would as well. Just a thought.

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Very nice for wide open shots! Can't wait to see some shots of Bangkok.

6. Jeff, that's great work!! I will strive to catch up -- but I am only ever here 2 weeks at a time.

Craig

7. Congrats on the lens!!! Mine is several years old and between the 28-70mm, one or the other is on whatever body (currently D300) I'm using most of the time.

Norm

8. Congrats! :D  Lucky you!

I see that the sales person is very happy with your purchase :) 

9. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Congrats Craig, do share some pictures of BKK taken with the new lens :cool: 

10. amf14

amf14

Aug 25, 2008
    Philippines
    My first post and a really nice purchase craig!

I''l be leaving for Bangkok this Thursday and aside from MBK, where do you guys suggest I go shop for Nikon stuff? :wink:

Thanks!

11. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Welcome home and can't wait to see some photos from the new lens...!

12. Iiyama

Iiyama Guest

Excellent. I go to Bangkok in November. I will check out the store.

13. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Congratulations, Craig.

14. Many people asked about camera stores in Bangkok. Below are my findings so far. My guess is that Jeff Jarvis can give even better advice. Short of finding a good deal on a used lens, it is much cheaper to buy lenses in the U.S. And they come with a 5-yr warrantee there.

1) FotoFile -- 1st and 2nd floor of MBK Center

2) Niks Thailand -- 166 Silom Rd. This is the official importer of Nikon into Thailand. They seem to have every lens in stock all the time. But they never discount. However, ask about pre-owned lenses. They often will take trade-ins from their best customers, and these lenses can be a deal. Last time I was here, I got a pristince 35-70/2.8 for my sister-in-law for just under $300.

3) Camera Collection -- Channisara Tower/Ground Floor/Surawong Road (just down from Robinson’s Department Store end of Silom Road). This is a great place, with great people, and they have a lot of old AI and AI-S lenses. They aren't always as pristine, but they will let you check them out in the store for as long as you want.

4) Photo Hoby -- 3rd Floor, Silom Complex, Silom Road. I haven't been here yet, but heard good things. I will check it out this trip.

Craig

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  15. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    NIKs & Foto-File are the two shops I use.
    At Fortune Mall, there is a shop called PIXs One that has some better pricing.
    I think they are selling grey market or refurbished ...not sure.

There are no real deals on cameras or any imported items to Thailand.
    The import duties are brutal. Even though Nikon has a factory in Thailand, the items go to Japan....then back here with tax added.
    I suspect that Hong Kong & Singapore will be better places for bargains.

BANGKOK.
    2765998453_8916b34765_o.

16. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.