Found a good deal on the 24-85 AF-S? Good lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bradystrib, Apr 28, 2007.

1. bradystrib

bradystrib Guest

Hey guys,
    Just curious to see if anyone has any opinions on this lens (build quality and image quality). I found a pretty good deal on one and want to know if I should jump on it. Thanks!

2. If you are talking about the 3.5-4.5G, I have one, its sharp from one end to the other. I use it quite often now after recently buying it here on the forum.

Hope this helps, George.

3. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I had this lens when I had my F5 and I tested it against the exernally identical 18-70DX and found the 24-85 to be a little bit sharper than the 18-70. both great lens

4. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just bought this lens last week and am still trying it out -- at first I wasn't impressed with it and had immediate buyers remorse. I took it out to the zoo (without the lens hood) on a moderately overcast day. The pictures were OK - no sizzle and not particularly "sharp". But after reading Thom Hogan's review, I placed the included lens hood on it, took some sample pictures and am a little more impressed with it. Never realized the lens hood would make such a difference.

5. I had the lens (replaced by 28-70). I like it alot. Would have kept it but it duplicated range. Does exceptionally well with low light. Use a tripod with it, you'll be impressed.

Dan

6. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Not a good lens. Distorts like crazy. Sharp? Just as sharp as the 80$ 28-80G or the 18-55.

Not a good buy, IMO. Many better choices out there.

8. bradystrib

bradystrib Guest

Well, seems to have mixed reviews. Despite that i picked one up for a grand total of $75 in fine working condition :D. I haven't tried it out yet, but hope to some time soon :D

9. For that price, even if you don't like it, you could sell it and make a profit. Now let's see some photos from it!