found an AF-D 35-70 f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by janil, Jun 30, 2007.

1. I went into my local camera shop this to order the "free" prints for the month that were included with my D80. I ordered the prints, and made the mistake of looking at the used lens section and reading all of the good comments about the lens on the cafe. They had an AF-D 35-70 sitting on the shelf... A few minutes later, I came home $230 poorer but with a new toy... I took a few sample photos... Here is one:

[​IMG]

I've never used a push-pull zoom before, and have some questions:

Is it normal for the zoom to be reversed, like the 35-70? The 70 is at the short end, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

There's a metal pin sticking out of the front, right below the text saying "AF Nikkor." Does this serve a purpose?

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chuck :

Sweet lens and a great price.

This old style push-pull doesn't work like the current models - the long end is indeed reversed.

The metal pin is to change over to manual macro mode when the lens is extended out. You extend it, push the pin in, and then focus. You'll spot a orange line ending with "M f=35" to the right of the pin on the barrel. Macro mode's limited, but works pretty well, all things considered.

Have fun with the lens - it's one of Nikon's unsung treasures.

John P.

3. irish-george

irish-george Guest

Intuitive to me...here's the logic

I've always preferred push-pull zooms and I've owned Nikon lenses for over 34 years.

Here's the thinking:
    Put the camera up to your eye with your push-pull zoom lens attached. Look at your subject. Push the zoom ring and you are "pushing your subject back" (shorter focal length). Pull the zoom ring toward you and it is as if you "pulled your subject closer" (longer focal length). I hate futzing with two-ring zooms or push-pulls that are set-up backwards from this. (I've never run across a Nikon push-pull that didn't conform to this, though the other poster seemed to indicate that they exist.)

HTH,
    George

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats ....nice shot too. i own 2 zooms, both pushers...35-70 and 80-200 and the 35-70 is my most coveted glass. this may very well be the most robust zoom in the nikon line up. no afs, no vr to fail u. it's small, compact and built like a hammer! if u treat it with some respect it will give it to ya fora lifetime ...;-))..that macro thingy works dandy too.
    35mm macro @f5
    650281362_00e4f473df_o.

5. good lens

If the lens is at the shortest position and pointed straight down, and it doesnt slip, thats good.:wink:
    If it does slip, its worn, but it can be adjusted.
    I had to fix mine, as its been around.

6. Why?

WHY WHY WHY another post about the 35-70 f/2.8?? I am sooo wanting my 35-70 lens to show up! You people are killing me.... tell me more good things about this lens. :biggrin:

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

it will enhance your sex life ...ROTFL
    :eek:

8. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Great Lens.

9. You may want to try Bergen County Camera, as they usually have a few in. They are one of my local shops and have a lot of gear owned by collectors.

GenoP

10. Perhaps Yer Right?

'Cause if I was still married and had bought the 28-70 it certainly would have killed it :Curved: and with the constanct 2.8 aperture, perhaps it WILL improve the sex life and I MAY get proof to show it without a flash haha:biggrin:

11. Superb lens. I had one that I got from Geno, until I got my 28-70mm. I actually liked the 70mm retracted, because I tended to shoot more at the 70 end than I did at 35.

Push Pull is easy to get used to.

You sure got a good buy on it to.

Have fun with it.

12. tommyc

tommyc

May 2, 2006
    Georgia
    Mine will be here tomorrow :biggrin:

13. Ahhh I've only been waiting 2 business days from BHphoto including the day I ordered it; it has to make it's way from the eastern seaboard to the west and north 1/2 way up the country (Canada) so it's all me, not the supplier. :biggrin: Ohh and it's our National Birthday this weekend so Monday isn't a buiness day either so hopefully it goes west before it comes north.

14. John:

Thanks for the info about the pin and macro mode. I already like the lens a lot. It has a small mark and a small scratch on the metal barrel, and one of the numbers is a bit faded-- but the glass looks good. I'm very happy with it.

Thanks. Your macro shot is nice! I blame you in part for this acquisition-- I was reading your praise of it on the other 35-70 threads.

Check. It passed :smile:

Derrick: My girlfriend looked at me amiss when I showed up with the 35-70 in hand.. until I explained that my other choices were 5 times more expensive than this one.

Derrick and Tommy: Hope your copies find your mailboxes soon. It was nice for me to be find one and pick it up locally.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
  15. This makes sense to me. I appreciate your explanation. I didn't spend much time thinking about it with the 18-135. :smile:

16. My GF didn't even blink, she actually said something along the lines that I should buy stuff now and again, that it's just money and it doesn't matter.
    I'm kind of a penny pincher in that I'm trying to pay down debt and set up some savings (after debt is down). Trying to get to the point of not living payday to payday paying bills so I can live, travel and have MORE fun LOL.

Hope you enjoy your new to you glass, you got a wicked deal and I'm happy to purchase new because I don't have anywhere local to purchase from so I don't want to risk second hand (heck I'm purchasing out of country haha!). As it is, the new cost right now is almost 1/2 off what they used to go for, from what I've read so even new they aren't that bad and like you said, everything else in it's class is WAY more expensive.

Good luck to you Janil!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  17. emidyl

emidyl

Jan 28, 2007
    GTA
    I just sent in my email to Bergen's to inquire. They have 2 on their list and we'll see if they are still available. Price sure seems right.

You are all bad...
    I haven't even had my 12-24 for more than three days!

18. Well, all I can say is it's worth the wait.

GenoP

19. Hope it works out, as they are really nice guys that own the place.

GenoP

20. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    As Ken Rockwell said, this lens can easily replaced by the smaller, cheaper and sharper 50/1.8 (with one step forward or one step backward).