found an interesting travel tripod

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Scott Sherman, Sep 30, 2005.

1. I'm guessing that I am not alone in this one. I always want to use a tripod but frequently don't because they are cumbersome, heavy, and awkward to carry on a walkabout. If you are in the city walking about, they stick out and bring unwanted attention to you in crowds etc.

I have been looking for the best travel tripod that minimizes these issues. I found the Cullmann 2722 Magic 2 Tripod at B&H (here is a link)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=14703&is=REG

It seems to address all these issues pretty well in it's design, but I have not been able to handle or experiment with it. I have only seen one on line.

Has anyone here seen one of these in use, if so, do you think it might support a D2x, 70-200 + TC? Is the build solid? The pictures look good but it looks like it has a lot of moving parts.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005

2. I've owned this one. It looks great and the workmanship is fairly good, but it actually was disappointing. The tripod section does not come up very high so the rig with a camera and any sizeable lens makes it oscillate. It actually takes quite a while to set up, twisting, pulling, inserting and screwing.

I much prefer the Velbon ultramaxi. I just timed myself and it took 12 seconds to go from fully folded to extended. With a camera installed the eyepiece of the camera is above my eyelevel and I'm 5' 10". It weighs about the same as the Cullman and folds to 13" x 3" x 3" and took 12 seconds to breakdown ready for storage. The cullman takes almost a minute to erect and breakdown.

http://www.velbon-tripod.com/ultra_maxi.htm

Rich

3. Thanks Rich, I knew someone here would know the answer. If you just read the company description, it looks like a great tripod. I appreciate your sharing your experience. I looked at the Velbron site you gave. It also looks great, but it seems like it would be a bit fragile or perhaps not that sturdy just looking at the picture. The bottom most leg extentions look very dainty and I could not tell if it had 4 or 5 sections. Each section seems to weaken the sturdiness as it is extended. But your experience and advice would be valuable to me. I have some very nice tripods but usually leave them home for the reasons I mentioned above.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
  7. William

William Guest

Gitzo Basalt Weekend Series 0

Hi Scott,

I highly recommend the Gitzo, even though it 's basically carrying a rock around (since it's made of basalt). It weighs 700 g= 1.5 pounds, max height 112 cm=44", min size 35 cm=14" with closed length of 42.5cm=16.7".

It was $270 and the model # is G1097. I really enjoyed using it with my D2X in the Canadian Rockies in August.