Found bird lost his ID

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Faceman, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    Does anyone have an idea what type of bird this guy is? My mother found him sitting in front of a Walgreens not moving. He seems friendly and drank some water but our attempt to give him bird seed didn't work. As of now he's at the vet with my mother. They'll probably keep him or tell us to let him go. Either way, still curious as to what he is. Thanks.

Nikon D80 - Nikkor 50mm 1.8 + SB-400

roundy_06.

roundy_11.

roundy_12.

roundy_13.

My cockatiel Otto didn't care for him.
    roundy_09.

roundy_05.

roundy_04.

He crapped on my work jacket.
    roundy_03.

Off to the vet.
    roundy_14.

2. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    It is a Golden-crowned Kinglet and they are insectivores, so they won't eat seeds.

3. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    That he is, good call. Too bad we couldn't keep him, friendly little guy.

The vet kept him and he was a big hit there too. They're going to call some people to take care of him. Or in other words, as soon as my mother left they probably let him loose.

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    :confused:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I read this yeaterday and forgot to reply..duhhh
    Cute little birdie:>))
    Nice pics
    So you think they let the little thing go?? Oh lets hope not.

6. A lot of times, little birds will hit a window, be stunned and just sit quietly for a while. As long as you place them in a protected area, they usually recover. Then they just up and fly away.

I found this exact same bird a few years ago. I thought he was dead because he was on his back, with his feet curled up. I got closer and touched him, and his head moved! I just put him in a cardboard box with the lid open, put it on top of my vehicle where he'd be safe from cats and dogs, and he eventually flew away.
    original.

Good for you for taking care of him. Just be careful introducing wild birds into your home, if you have pet birds. Wild birds DO have lice! :smile:

7. Worst thing in the world is to try and take care of an injured bird as it will end up dieing. Best to place it in a box back up in a tree close to where you found it and leave. If it is injured try a rehabber as most vets won't bother. If its a raptor (bird of prey) and injured carefully throw a towel or blanket over it to calm it down and get it to a rehabber ASAP as there is no way an untrained persom can take care of a bird like this without it imprinting on the person. A good link on my home page is http://www.dvrconline.org/ look to the left and click on how to rescue a raptor.
    Lou

8. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    It was probably a baby bird which lost it's way. My mother looked for a nest near the entrance of Walgreens but she didn't see any. Even in the letters of the sign. I doubt he was panhandling. People said he was there for over 20min. Either way he's cute and I'm sure the vet called someone to look after him.

No no no, I was only kidding. I'm sure they really called someone.

9. Excellent advice, Lou. I found mine in a parking lot, with no trees around so I figured the highest spot (roof of my truck) would be best. No hand-handling - just sort of scooped him into the box (more because of mites, rather than smell transfer!).

10. Sandi, Afraid the transfer of smell is (to the best of my knowledge not so but washing of the hands is a good idea). At the raptor center birds are handeled durning rehab everyday and are released when fit for it. When banding the young eagles they are handeled all the time and just let run to the other side of the nest while the next is done. Sometimes blood is taken so the bird has to be lowered to the ground. It is handeled there quite a bit as an 8 week old eagle is not to be fooled with so at least 3 people are involved.
    The reason I say place it in a tree in a box is so if there is a chance it fell from a nest the parents will feed it in the box or what they call fledge.
    Many times a young eagle on it's first flight will falter and fall to the ground and when it is at this age it is left alone as the parents will feed it on the ground and it will fly but it might take just one or two more days.
    Lou

11. Up at the lake last year, all the baby orioles were on the ground! The parents would fly down and feed them while the little ones hid in the bushes if possible. I kept my eyes open for any feral cats. After one or two days, they were starting to flap around and start flying up into the trees. Fun to watch.