1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Found (good deal?) 80-200 f/2.8 AF ED

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bep207, Mar 24, 2007.

1. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    So I found this lens on sale, used from Rent Glass.com in their newly created Used Lens store.
    I bought it for $389 shipped.
    The lens had Good-Excellent ratings on all but one category.
    It was described has having the front threads being mis-shapen by cross-threading a filter on.
    Ive read about this before. Apparently the filter threads are plastic and if you are not careful you can crossthread them and ruin the threads.
    How big of a deal do you guys think this was? Probably worth the significant savings. Anyway I have 3 days to return it after I receive it. I'll let you know how it turns out. But for now I'm happy. Should I be?

Thanks
    Blake

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  2. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I'd like to find one at the price Mack paid for his.
    He got the deal of the year!

3. Blair

Blair

Jul 28, 2006
    Oregon
    good luck, i just got one from the cafe. amazing lens. my first truly razor sharp piece of glass and now i am hooked. probably going to give up my 18-70 and 24-120 for a 17-55.

4. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    www.rentglass.com had one! i hope this was a smart purchase.
    read my top post for the details

5. What ever you do....never touch a 70-200....your bank account will never be the same.:biggrin:

6. no problem with the screwed threads (pun intended), just get a 77-82 step-up filter and use the bigger filter and screw-in lens cap; total cost $30, better protection, and cheap.....you're welcome

7. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    I got my 80-200 in the mail today
    The glass and the metal body look great, I took some pictures today of a baseball game and was very pleased with the result
    The "damage" that resulted in this lens being $370 seems very minor to me. If you know something more than me, please chime in.
    There is a small crack in the plastic part of the lens where the filters go. It is the ribbed area on the inside of the metal lip that extends past the glasses furthest point The glass barely reaches this point on its furthest point during focus. It doesnt seem to hinder the focus mechanism. THe part that overlaps doesnt click or hang up on this small crack at all.
    Ill try to post pictures of it soon
    Overall I am pretty happy. Any reason not to be?
    Thanks
    Blake

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.