Found me a Tokina 400mm SD ATX f/5.6

I have never seen or tried the aTokina 400/5.6. Everything I've heard and read about the 400/5.6 lenses made by various manufacturers gives the Sigma EX APO 400/5.6 AF Telemacro the nod in terms of general IQ. I was first attracted to the Sigma because of its close focus capability and when KEH offered one at an attractive price I took it, knowing that I could return it without a problem. I liked it so much I carry it everywhere.

I have since tried an old AI-S Nikkor 400/5.6. I still prefer the Sigma.

I'd suggest you ask for a trial or a return priviledge and see if you like it. If it meets your needs then it's fine.

I had the Tokina ATX 400/5.6 SD for a while.

Pros: Nice and compact, nice deep built-in hood. Focuses quite close (2.5m). Good build quality. Nice bokeh (smooth backgrounds), sharp in the center, not much lateral CA.

Neutral: Tripod mount is ok - locking knob is a bit small

Cons: No MF override or MF/AF switch on the lens. Colors and detail smeared and soft in the corners until stopped down (D50, likely show up worse on D200). Lots of longitudinal CA (green foreground blur, purple background). Not fully compatible with D50 - sometimes would work, sometimes not. I've heard it's ok with the D200.

I now use the AI 400/5.6 ED (not IF). It's big, heavy, slow to focus and only goes to 5m. Build quality is excellent, and it's sharp and contrasty wide open, with only traces of longitudinal CA.

I have one.. it would have to be mint to bring even close to that.. they can be had for around 250 or even less...

I agree on the Sigma 400 f/5.6. But make certain that you find the 77mm thread. The 72mm does not have a good rep.

Also, the Nikon mount Sigma 400mm(Macro, BTW, with focus limiter switch)was not made with HSM. But it is fast enough focus. I have owned both the Nikon and Sigma mounts, a very nice lens. I ended up selling my Nikon mount on Ebay for about $600.00 a few months ago.

Good Luck,

mike

VPT

This Tokina 400/5.6 is not the AT-X version and it is not worth $350. A reasonable price for that lens is something between $150-$200.

I had the tokina 400/5.6sd...

and recently sold it for $300.

It was a fine lens, but I just don't use my telephotos these days. Image was much crisper at F7.1. Slight loss of contrast at F5.6.

A little info about the 80-400 at KEH.

There's 3 versions of this lens. The first version does not have a tripod collar and foot and is external focus. The 2nd version adds a non-removable rotating collar and foot. The 3rd version KEH lists new changed to internal focus. The first 2 versions are said to go soft over 300mm and mine does. It did improve on the D300 after fine tuning. I haven't seen much of any discussion of the 3rd version. There's a bunch of photos from the 1st 2 versions in PBase's camera/lens database and a few user reviews on Fred Miranda's site.

Since they don't mention a tripod collar and foot in the description of the used lens this might be the 1st version.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Tokina 400/5.6 is not the AT-X version and it is not worth $350. A reasonable price for that lens is something between $150-$200.

The lens in the image is the AT-X version. If you look closely on the side you can read AT-X. The red ring confirms that also.

I had one awhile back and really enjoyed it. It seemed that I was always longing for something faster, though. They are sharp!

How was the focus speed if you dont mind me asking? Good enough for BIFs?

The lens in the image is the AT-X version. If you look closely on the side you can read AT-X. The red ring confirms that also.

I had one awhile back and really enjoyed it. It seemed that I was always longing for something faster, though. They are sharp!

Latest threads

Top Bottom