Found on my facebook feed ...

Useful information, but....

30. No card inserted?
It’s annoying when the shutter won’t fire because there’s no memory card inserted. Find the Slot Empty Release Lock setting and set it to Enable Release.

'Annoying' pales into insignificance when one tries to review the last few images and realizes no card was in the camera. Unless the camera is a demo unit in a store, what benefit is there? Even if you're demonstrating a setting while teaching a class, have a card in the camera & delete the practice images later...

Had this happen a handful of times over decades of shooting film. Way bad. Yeah, my fault for not checking, but if a mistake can be made, I'll find a way, and I'm not the only one....

Otherwise, mostly good suggestions. But this one jumps out at me.

30. No card inserted?
It’s annoying when the shutter won’t fire because there’s no memory card inserted. Find the Slot Empty Release Lock setting and set it to Enable Release.

'Annoying' pales into insignificance when one tries to review the last few images and realizes no card was in the camera. Unless the camera is a demo unit in a store, what benefit is there? Even if you're demonstrating a setting while teaching a class, have a card in the camera & delete the practice images later...

Had this happen a handful of times over decades of shooting film. Way bad. Yeah, my fault for not checking, but if a mistake can be made, I'll find a way, and I'm not the only one....

Otherwise, mostly good suggestions. But this one jumps out at me.

I agree. I didn't know there was a setting for this. So now mine is set to locked!!

Thanks! Although I'm not a stranger to many techniques, I just got the D800 and am learning many of the functions of it.

And, yeah, I see not advantage to shooting with no MC.

That was worth the read for this alone:

"33. File numbering
To make sure every shot has a unique file number, set the File number sequence option to On. Otherwise, you’ll end up with duplicate file names on your computer."

I have about 8,000 images and MULTIPLE files with the same daggone file number because I'm an idiot and didn't know about this.

:940: :m68:

"33. File numbering
To make sure every shot has a unique file number, set the File number sequence option to On. Otherwise, you’ll end up with duplicate file names on your computer."

I have about 8,000 images and MULTIPLE files with the same daggone file number because I'm an idiot and didn't know about this.

Ah, I upload via LR, so I change names, but good to know regardless.

"33. File numbering

Nikon cameras only count up to 9999, so unless you also adjust the prefix to your files after each 9999 shots, you will eventually end up with some duplicate file names.

For my file names, the first two digits are for the camera (e.g., D4, 8E) and the third digit always starts with A and ascends up the alphabet. When the file names start to get close to 9999 and I think I'll take a lot of captures, I will increment the third digit even if it is a bit early. Better that than to have duplicate file names.

Thanks! Although I'm not a stranger to many techniques, I just got the D800 and am learning many of the functions of it.

And, yeah, I see not advantage to shooting with no MC.

I have a D800 and shoot "traditionally", i.e. I put in a memory card for storage, but perhaps not having a card inserted is useful to someone for tethered shooting or tethered HDMI video? Not sure, just thinking out loud.

Latest threads

Top Bottom