Four Days in Kathmandu

I was very lucky to get four days off work for the Eid break and fly to Kathmandu for a very cheap break.

This is my first time travelling to Kathmandu, or Asia, or anywhere not really Western (Dubai doesn't count, as it's no different to the UK, with the exception of a couple of rules), plus I travelled alone so a new experience for me.

I flew in to KTM late on Wednesday evening, when it was raining, and proceeded straight to my hotel for a few days - Hotel Blue Horizon in Thamel.

Using Thamel as a base for much of the city wide sightseeing I planned a relaxed few days which would not involve lots of early mornings/late nights and could still be considered a holiday.

Anyway, Thamel is another world! The walk from the hotel, through Thamel and down to Durbar Square is a real eye opener and something that you cannot be prepared for, coming straight off the plane from Dubai. It's an assault on the senses - the continuous blasting of the car and bike horns, the smoke and pollution, the rubbish and the amount of people all walking around the narrow streets.

Durbar Square is a very busy place - tourists, touts, locals - the lot. Once out of the square, and exploring the back streets, Kathmandu really comes alive.

1D3_8867.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

1D3_9513.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

The street photography opportunities are endless. I'm not a street photographer, but even I shot from the hip.

You can risk spending the whole holiday in Kathmandu city, missing so much culture a short drive outside. I hired the hotel driver for the day, as I didn't like the taxis and I didn't want to risk being left somewhere in the middle of nowhere if the taxi driver got bored of waiting.

This allowed me to explore the likes of Patan, Bhaktapur, Changu Narayan and Nargakot. Being monsoon season, it had typically rained during the evenings and been good during the day - this day was going to be different though. I has a few showers while walking around the town in Bhaktapur and the cloud was lying low in the valley when waiting for sunset at Nargakot - so much so I aborted and we headed back.

1D3_9252.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

Bhaktapur by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

1D3_9299.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

1D3_9273.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

Nargakot View by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

1D3_9186.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The towns outside of Kathmandu City are great places to really explore the life and culture of the Nepalese people and on my next trip, I'll spend more time travelling around the valley and heading further in to the sticks.

With an aborted sunset, I was a bit disappointed not to get either a good sunrise or sunset shoot during my trip but this was always the risk of travelling during the monsoon season.

So for my final two days I again stuck in Kathmandu City and made sure I captured everything the city had to offer (which is impossible, with so many back streets) by revisiting Durbar Square and Bhasantapur.

1D3_8904.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

Sleeping is a popular past time.

1D3_8927.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

1D3_8955.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

The kids will often spend their time chasing the pigeons in Durbar Square

1D3_9477.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

1D3_9987.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

1D3_0003-Edit.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

1D3_9960.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

1D3_9924.jpg by DubaiPhoto, on Flickr

A revisit is definitely on my list of places to go. I don't even think I scratched the surface of what this wonderful country and city has to offer.

Pokhara, Lukla and a trek to either Everest Base Camp or Annanpura Base Camp are still to be ticked off.

Sorry for so many photos, but trust me, this is nothing compared to the amount sat on my hard drive and flicking through my photoframe on my desk.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
A fantastic series and excellent narrative. The photos are fantastic and validates the reason I love to travel so much. I really like them all; well done!

Really enjoyed these! Thanks for posting.

I glimpse into somewhere I will most likely never be able to visit.

I am curious of the meaning of the 2 eyes in the tower.

Any insight on what that means?

A few years ago I had the chance to visit Kathmandu, but difficult travel arrangements had me elect otherwise. Now I can kick myself ... it's a visual feast. Thanks so much for showing us.

Some EXCELLENT photography there. I really like the street shot of the old lady in your first post. For not being/liking street photography, you did excellent, could have fooled me! :wink:

Thanks for all your comments guys. As I'm sure you can imagine, I have so many more photos from my trip - took around 1,500, which I've whittled down to around 250 edited photos, and these are just a few.

There are a couple more on my Flickr and I'll be uploading some more general shots later this week.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom