Four From the Fort

Another three days on the west coast of Florida. All shot with my walkaround D500/200-500VR, and most were not at 500mm because these birds will close the distance if you hold still.

1. No idea why this Spoonbill wouldn't let go of a branch.
1714a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Marbled Godwit feeding.
1714b.jpg

3. Riled and ruffled Reddish Egret.
1714L.jpg

4. American Oystercatcher in a tidal pool.
1714p.jpg

Last edited:
Great series. How was the action there? I'm thinking of going down this weekend.
Thanks Mitch. I went Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. On the sandbar it seems every day there are hundreds of birds. That's where the Reddish and the Spoonbill were shot. You can wade out to the sandbar, even at high tide. Low tide in the lagoon has had night herons lately and the usual others were coming and going. That said, one day it's very active and the next you might not take a shot, but you don't have too far to travel if it's quiet there. Have fun.

Thanks Mitch. I went Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. On the sandbar it seems every day there are hundreds of birds. That's where the Reddish and the Spoonbill were shot. You can wade out to the sandbar, even at high tide. Low tide in the lagoon has had night herons lately and the usual others were coming and going. That said, one day it's very active and the next you might not take a shot, but you don't have too far to travel if it's quiet there. Have fun.
Thanks for the info. I've been down there on many slow summer mornings. Still a pleasant place to be. A slow day at Ft. DeSoto is still a lot better than a good day at work.

Sweet set Bobby! #3 & #4 have to be my favorites. That 200-500 must have been customed made for you by Nikon, don’t think I’ve seen that combination producing the sharpness and contrast that you seem to constantly produce.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom