Foxglove

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by xrdbear, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Warm late evening just before sunset over the hill from house with lots of midges :eek:(

I think maybe I should crop more on the left :confused:

[​IMG]

2. beautiful shot.... very warm colors.

3. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

Fantastic shot, but I do agree a little more cropping on the left would make this shot really pop.

4. Thanks both of you. Here is a different crop. This is the aspect ratio that I usually crop to for prints on A4 paper that I sell. It seems to work better. I was experimenting before with the 10x8 crop which a lot more frames seem to be made for.

[​IMG]

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I agree with the above, cropping the left has improved the composistion by getting rid of that 'dead' area.

It's a lovely image, thanks for sharing.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Much prefer the crop and you might want to go one notch more and a tiny amount from the bottom too,

Try to get the dark spot at the top left out of the image, and up from the bottom past the first two smaller pink buds so the one on the left is at the bottom instead of the one in the center.

Nice shot, great depth to the image, perhaps some selective sharpening to the bottom of the image,

Wade

7. Good suggestions Wade, thanks. I had to make some minor alterations to the sky to obtain this crop. Thanks for making me look at these details.

[​IMG]

8. nice Brian! here is a close up view of the plant

[​IMG]

I hope you do not mind the image added to your post> I will promptly remove it if you do.

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I like this crop, note how we have areas divided by colors and light plus lines.

In the top left we have a nice open white rock color with some shadows, in the bottom left we have a darker contrasting area that still has some color splash with the pink. the sky provides a nice balance to that darker green area.

Note too, how the swath of golden light moves across the image providing a nice flow to the image and a nice middle point for the eye to move to and from.

Note how the image flows from left to right as the primary diagonal lines.

but also note how there are vertical lines in the flowers and cliff rocks which also provide contrast. This image makes for an interesting study!

Wade

The diagonals of the rocks, golden light, and flowers compared to the sky and distant lands, also provides a great visual composition.

Well done!

Wade

10. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    I also agree that the crop has improved this image. In the original post my eyes never wandered from the bottom of the picture. When I looked at the cropped photo one of the first things I noticed was the mountain in the background. I had to go back to the first picture to see if it was really the same shot! The cropped photo definitely leads your eyes around the scene. Nice shot and good post processing!

11. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    What a difference! A nice shot is now a great shot!

Wade - thanks for sharing so much information!

12. This is/was a most educational thread. Thanks for all the sharing and yes, that is quite the shot!

13. Nice image, Brian.

I am in agreement about the cropping, that more should be cut from the left. Also, the upper right of the image is very bright and draws one's eye there first, before the flowers, which are the main subject. I would also recommend lightening the foreground, lower left, while darkening the upper right.

Here is my hastily done example:

[​IMG]

To do the darkening and lightening I used Photoshop layers. I created 2 new, duplicate layers. On the middle layer, I set blend mode to "multiply" to enrich the lighter areas. On the top layer, setting the blending mode to "screen" lightens the dark areas. I played with the layer opacity sliders to get the look I wanted. On each layer, I erased the sections I did not want to keep using a large eraser, with a hardness of 30% and 40% opacity. Then flattened the image. Here is a screen shot showing what I did:

[​IMG]