Frame building?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Recently built a frame to suite my nautical/seaside theme oil painting in my master bath, did a little I guess you'd call "aging" of it, I felt it could work. The frame base color is called "Antique Photograph". I thought very fitting color, which happens to match the ground and some roofs. I really like that I believe it was a Glidden color. I also used a maroon to match other roofs, Brazil nut to match the wall as well as other lighter shades in the photo, and a little black to just give it that dark aging look. Of course, the frame with some other technique added could also be used for a photo. the frame material is called Rope trim. Available at Lowes in the size used here. Home Depot had a small size, but not this larger size. It's pricey stuff though I thought at 12-14 bucks a stick I think it was.

I thought I'd show it to give people an idea maybe of framing a photo of their own. I used a compound mitre saw to build the frame, which is actually 2 layers deep. It has a 3/4" X 3/4" base frame, then the rope frame is glued using molding glue to the base frame, without the painting in place of course. Painting then goes in from back side. I used small "L" brackets on the corners of the backing frame, then glued, clamped, and tightened it for assembly.

The painting was done in China, but is authentic heavily brush stroked oil.

[​IMG]

2. Doug, you may have just found another sideline for you! Your frame is lovely. It is very complimentary to your artwork and that fact the you made it yourself makes it even more special.

I admire your creativity!

Kellii (Lee-Ann)

PS In July we vacationed in Gatlinburg and spent a fair bit of time in the Smoky Mountains. All I can say is breathtaking...

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Friggen sweet frame, awesome

4. Nice work. A perfect match for the painting.

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Wow, Doug. You need to stop watching the Home & Garden channel and start posting here frequently again :biggrin: No, really.....fantastic job. I'd be proud of myself, too. :smile:

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thank you Kellii! I really appreciate such a nice comment. I do enjoy woodworking, right now it's just the time and place that is the difficulty. Someday I hope to have a better shop.

Thanks much Will! Tom, it may not work in every case for sure, but this time, I felt it was the right touch- Interesting process, not knowing much about aging or antiquing, lol. I guess I was inspired by some painted nesting tables I got at Pottery Barn. Pottery Barn sells quite a bit of stuff with an aged, distressed look.

Francis, lol, I know I broke out of my mold some for a while now. I admit I have been a little busy trying to put my life back together a little bit. Decorating yes. Cleanup, yes, etc...

I would say I was more pleased how it turned out than proud. I mean, I pretty well knew I could do it ok, But pleased that it came out around "square" anyway, lol. Any of you that have built frames, know it's not exactly easy at times.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.