Frame Count what gives?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by papa85, Dec 25, 2005.

1. papa85

papa85 Guest

--Can someone explain how the number of shots remaining on the D200 works. It dose not make sense to me, I must be stupid. It shows 113 I take 3 photos and it says 112. What am I missing, or is there a setting to change it . It is driving me crazy

2. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    In the general case, all digital cameras make a ballpark guess at how many images you can store on your CF. But, there's a variable that you can't account for in that guess. Images captured in one condition (say a park shot on a bright sunny day) will differ from another (in a dark club shooting a band or performance). I think the one with greater color variations consumes more space (based on what little I know about compression algorithms). The thing I've noticed is that the number will vary (as you noticed) as images are added to the CF. The predicted storage increases in accuracy as you add images... so, the closer you get to filling, the more accurate the count will be.

If I recall, shooting NEF actually has an even more accurate prediction count because the variablity that exists with JPG isn't there... although, I'm not so sure that is holds true for compressed NEF.

3. Shooting compressed NEF aren't you :smile:

The counter shows for uncompressed NEF when you're shooting RAW no matter what...and there is a HUGE variability in NEF sizes once they're compressed- I get between 7 and 12mb!

Peter, it is now extremely complicated- with choice between size priority and optimal quality for JPEG compression, plus this compressed NEF variability....it's hard to tell anything about filesizes :)

4. There is some difference even in RAW file sizes, 15.2MB to 15.5MB in a few examples I checked. Just FYI.

5. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Good point... I suppose what I stated was based more on D70 experience than D200 - thank you for identifying my oversight.

6. trust me, when my D200 came I wasn't prepared for the sheer amount of variance in filesizes.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The size as I understand it, is the difference in the amout of data for the image. An image with many colors and differences may be larger :>))