Frame critique

I figure imitation is a form of flattery, so I've taken inspiration from Joe L.'s amazng post processing, including his frames and came up with these.

What are your thoughts?

2651482965_ea598e6fbf_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2651483047_6d2beea2db_o.jpg

2651529057_8a82b89cdd_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
These seem pretty good, however, I was told by someone several years ago on frames like this to always make the color splash in the frame just a little bit darker than the subject color, I don't recall who, but they provided some examples and I have done that since and taught that since that point in time with good results.

Nice shadow/bevels and other work on the frames.

Well done,

Wade

Thanks Wade. Chosing the color sampling was the challenge for me. Which color to choose and then what shade. It will probably be an on-going work in process on every image.

Here's one more quick attempt.

2652528658_0d7d7f7549_o.jpg

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
On this one I like the touch of backdrop yellow/chartrouse next to the orange, and

I think they are excellent. However, not sure that I like the color of the thin outline in the last one of the car. Nice work.

LOL! Just read Wade's post basically saying the opposite of what I said.

I like the bevel effect. #2 is my favorite - the choice of red really works with the subject.

Wade's comment sounds like it would make sense - first glance at #1 and my eye was drawn to the green in the frame - realise it was selected to match their jackets but if it was darker would probably draw more attention to the photo.

Really good though!

Your color selection can easily be done with the eyedropper tool and taking a sample from a color within the image itself. No need for you to have to select the color from a color chart.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I like the frames - nice touch! However I find my eye drawn to the frame instead of the photo, especially in photos 1, 2 and 4. Perhaps narrowing the color band would help keep emphasis on the photo.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I think they are excellent. However, not sure that I like the color of the thin outline in the last one of the car. Nice work.

LOL! Just read Wade's post basically saying the opposite of what I said.

that is why there is more than one of everything in this world (except maybe ourselves, folks are never alike in their likes! :biggrin:

JMHO

The images are nice, the framing is not something one would fine in a high end art gallery or museum.

Yep, frames are for online viewing, not for galleries and none of these would be art gallery images anyway. Thanks for all the comments.

F

fgaston

How were frames made?

Yes, I use the eye dropper but if I don't like the look I then play with the color swatch to adjust color darker or lighter.

David:
Nice job with these frames. Forgive me if already posted, but can you please outline the steps you used to make them? Thanks, Fred

Latest threads

Top Bottom