Frame or Mounting Image

I am looking for some ideas on the best way to present the photo below for an upcoming public exhibit. This is the last image to do and would like to have one done in a nice frame/mat or another format. I normally don't do this only use my images digitally so any suggestions are most welcome. Of course there is not right or wrong way whatever is pleasing to my eye. It may be better to have the owl off centre slightly? Original image is 6000 x 4000 around 3.7mb out of a D7200. The largest size so far is an 8 x 10 image on core foam board and matted so having this one the largest may be the way to go. Thanks again and have a good week.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I struggle at lot with these questions myself and personal preference is a huge factor of course. A lot will depend on the final aspect ratio and crop but I’d start by moving the owl slightly higher in the frame which will strengthen the image, I think. If the final print is landscape aspect ratio (i.e. not portrait or square) I’d also shift the owl to the left (leaving more space to the right) ... although the owl appears to be looking slightly back /to the left, the body position is definitely suggesting a left to right bias. Also, wire coming off the post to the right will help to frame the owl and maintain balance. JMO and YMMV. Good luck with the exhibit!

Last edited:
I'm sure that I am too late here to be of much use, but here goes anyway. I believe that your photo is quite successful and I would rather not crop it for the sake of an exhibition. Cropping the picture and then printing it larger gives more weight to the background which, to me, looks a little nervous. Overall the frame is subdued (as far as colour value goes) which enables (IMO) one to print the picture quite small and still allow it to be effective.

The size and type of venue for your show is the main driving factor behind your printing decisions. How close will your audience be able to approach the work?

Good luck!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom