framed up...blueridge parkway virginia

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by openwide, Aug 5, 2007.

1. found this shot with help from one of our infamous own. taken at ravens ridge. was a beautiful day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] this photo was taken only a few steps from the tree framing the valley

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2007
  2. lchrismunos

lchrismunos

Jun 28, 2006
    Arkansas
    Like them Both

Really like the second one. Have you considered cropping the tree from the right of the second shot (along the edge of the rocks)? Might not be the right thing to do but I think I would consider throwing the "rule of thirds" out the window on this one. Great shot. I may be the only one that feels this way...

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I like both of them and agree about the tree limbs on the right side of the second image. However, I think there is room for a rule of thirds interpretation if you combine a little cropping with a little cloning. I think the result would also give some balance between the nearby hill on the left and the distant hills on the right.

4. David

Two shots very worthy of discussion about "composition"! I like them both and might make a few changes for my personal tastes but only minor.

We have had a few folks new to landscape photography asking for ideas / input on landscapes these past few days and I think your images are a great example of getting nice subject matter first and then as a next step fine tuning to bring out an even nicer image guided of course by personal taste.

In the first image I would consider cropping / cloning out the bottom corners which show a little background. I might consider waiting or even coming back to this same location to get a shot on a more clear day perhaps with puffy white clouds (I see some of these in the second shot)

I really like the second shot, tried playing with some crops but I think I like it the way it is. I am a fan of interesting looking trees and like the rocks in the foreground.

Bob can you show us what you are thinking about in terms of crop / cloning?

5. Good to see that you have posted these David. You are getting some really great feedback here that will only prove to help us all.
    Dave

6. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Dan, I think there are several possibilities. My own preference would be to clone out the right-hand-side tree branches and then look at the cropping possibilities from there. I looked at two "thirds" interpretations that retained existing 3:2 aspect ratio. Note that there are both near and far background hills that essentiallly form overlapping layers. The crop I liked best involved leaving the bottom and left-hand-side as is and then bringing in the right-hand side and top so that the near and far hill areas formed approximately equal-area triangles (adds overall balance with both hill groups "pointing" to the subject tree)*. At that point there are several minor "tweaks" possible to the crop, e.g., a little more sky vs. foreground rock.
    I like the shot well enough that, if it were mine, I try it a couple of different ways and then come back again tomorrow to make a decision after my thought processes had aged a little:biggrin:.

*Note that the tree is unbalanced, having more growth on the right. I kinda like the tree trunk off center to the left -- that seems to me to be the best way to balance the near and far hills too.

7. Bob

Something like this?

Pardon the sloppy cloning; even at my age I don't have a lot of patience.

In playing with this image it appears to me it definitely could benefit from more color saturation / contrast which I have quickly adjusted and which could probably be done better.

Anyone else have suggestions; please jump in!

8. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Dan, that works for me -- you might even stick one of those puffy clouds over on the right. The real question is -- does David like it?

9. bob, dan, and chris. thanks for the input. i have printed this photo for a photo give-away at my office. i did crop out most of the tree to the right ...which by the way is the tree in the first photo....but left some of it there for balance. i am new to the hobby and have not mastered cs3 and the cloning tool. i truly appreciate everyones input, as this is the only way i will improve my skills. one of my thoughts was to frame the photo better with my camera...and this would have eliminated most of this discussion. here is a crop of this i did.....but will repost this same tree with a fall back drop.....thanks again gentlemen. david

[​IMG]

10. David

You are on your way. Have fun!

11. thanks dan...i plan on going back in the fall and trying this shot again. i also intend on getting the cloning tool working with my pen. thanks for the input. db