Frames Per Second Question?

Question for action shooters.I have been reading all the opinions on the new camera bodies. In real world situations what the difference between shooting at six frames per second compared to eleven frames per second? (I know five frames.) I assume you shoot in bursts to try and catch that moment, does that extra couple of FPS really yield much better results? As an example a play at home plate. What would be the typical shot count be? I have reading wedding photographers say they need a high frame rate, I don't get it. Just trying to learn,Thanks.

Question for action shooters.I have been reading all the opinions on the new camera bodies. In real world situations what the difference between shooting at six frames per second compared to eleven frames per second? (I know five frames.) I assume you shoot in bursts to try and catch that moment, does that extra couple of FPS really yield much better results? As an example a play at home plate. What would be the typical shot count be? I have reading wedding photographers say they need a high frame rate, I don't get it. Just trying to learn,Thanks.

Joe,

I think the higher frame rate is a significant advantage when trying to capture peak action. I generally try my best to time the shots, but I'm usually looking for that one shot in the sequence where everything comes together--the tilt of the head, the angle of the tag, etc. Of course, your odds increase as you have more frames within that tight time frame to choose from. The same goes for birds in flight.

Having said that, I'm looking at the D800 for now. My reasoning is that if I look through my images, the vast majority are shots taken with a camera on the tripod--one frame at a time. I like shooting sports, but I probably don't do it often enough to base my selection of a camera on that. But, I still have my doubts as to a camera choice as I tend to shoot a wide variety of subjects--and the D800 doesn't seem like the jack for all trades. Then again, I still have the D700--which is a jack of all trades. :confused:

Glenn

the difference is night and day in my mind, i switch between the d300s and d700 and thats 7-8fps on the 300 and 4-5 on the 700, and it seems like its taking forever and i feel like im missing shots w the 700 sometimes. I shoot auto racing, so for me the higher the better. not saying you cant take amazing sports pictures a 1 fps, but if your trying to capture THAT moment, the higher and faster the better to increase your chances

At what frame rate does AF begin to suffer? The AF does need some time to focus, the perfect moment, achieved at 11 frames per second, can't be much good if it is slightly or badly out of focus.

Depends on the subject. For sports, I want fast burst rates, but timing is more important.

For getting something like a ball on the bat shot, timing matters more than burst. However, getting a shot like a play at second, or a receiver catching a ball, a high burst rate will give you more options and have a greater chance of getting peak action. Even then, if you have good timing, you can compensate for a lack of high burst.

the difference is night and day in my mind, i switch between the d300s and d700 and thats 7-8fps on the 300 and 4-5 on the 700, and it seems like its taking forever and i feel like im missing shots w the 700 sometimes. I shoot auto racing, so for me the higher the better. not saying you cant take amazing sports pictures a 1 fps, but if your trying to capture THAT moment, the higher and faster the better to increase your chances

I think the D300 will go higher if you set the NEF to 12 bit rather than 16 bit.

Glenn

Thanks for all the answers. Interesting to hear even a few more FPS can make the difference. I just fool around with some kids sports, no money involved. On the professional level when everything happens much faster to get THAT shot I can see how every frame counts.

I would assume with future technological advanvements we will be able to shoot 4 second video bursts and choose from 120 frames to get the one killer shoot. And enlarge it the size of a billboard.

I assume you shoot in bursts to try and catch that moment, does that extra couple of FPS really yield much better results?

yes, yes it does.

moving from a D700 to a D3s, the difference is like trying to swim through treacle (D700) compared to swimming in salt water while wearing a wetsuit and fins (D3s).

extra FPS doesn't guarantee you a good shot. but when you're set-up and primed, it makes it a lot easier.

the downside is having to trawl through even more images to find that one golden keeper.

A few thoughts on FPS.
When you need em, you need em. Weddings aint it. I pay my mortgage doing weddings, and there is no need whatsoever for high fps bodies there.

In sports...its different, but I can tell you that its still in the first 1-3 frames of the burst that the real gems usually come. Why? Timing. Once you get the hang of the timing for most sports down, you hold off a bit till the action gets peak, then fire. Often by the time you figure out that the action is over, you have got 3-4 wasted frames from each burst. I try to use a 3 shot burst and then try to wait for another peak in the action....especially with football or basketball where you can mash down for a rather extended period if you arent mindful.

Those saying the d700 isnt fast...add the grip/battery and its pretty quick....much better. The D4 coming out is great news for most of us as hopefully some more d3s's might hit the used market and bring the prices down a bit. But I'm not holding my breath. All I really want right now is the "d400" or whatever they are gonna call the new dx body...hopefully 15-18mp with iso performance near the d3s. That will equal one happy camper here.

I pay my mortgage doing weddings, and there is no need whatsoever for high fps bodies there.

And here I thought SI and ESPN paid your mortgage :biggrin:

To me, high FPS is pretty simple. I use it to reduce the chances of closed eyes, swinging hand covering face, flailing limb covering team name/numbers, etc.

I will also add that even at 11fps, an 1/11th of a second is actually a lot longer span of time that you would think. In terms of football, if you were to burst, outstretched arms of a receiver MIGHT last 2 frames. 1/5th or 1/6th of a second is an eternity.

Just for some fodder to chew on, I shoot some little league baseball with a d700 gripped at 8fps. Shooting the pitcher from windup to ball in the catcher's glove is pretty darned close to 1 sec. When someone is stealing home and there's a play at home plate, 10 feet from the base to tag is much less than a second. I had a kid jump over the catcher and my burst only caught him in 4 frames for that play. Great frames, mind you, but only four. The parents bought all four.

Latest threads

Top Bottom