Frank(s), ever see a Hummer in a tree?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    This poor little gal just sat up in a nearby tree, deep in the shadows, waiting for me to go back inside. She was about 25 ft away. That, or she was being wary of my dogs out with me, which is really a no no when it comes to shooting birdies. Used D2X/200-400VR for this one. This is a 25% crop then reduced again to 40% for web. Used fill flash set to Repeat 1/8th power. Suggestions to improve my Hummer shots?
    original.
    EXIF from PS:
    Nikon D2X

Focal Length: 400mm

Color Mode: Mode I (sRGB)

Long Exposure NR: Off

High ISO NR: On (Normal)

2005/06/29 07:17:06.3

Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority

White Balance: Auto -1

Tone Comp.: Normal

Compressed RAW (12-bit)

Metering Mode: Center-Weighted

AF Mode: AF-S

Hue Adjustment: +3°

Image Size: Large (4288 x 2848)

1/60 sec - F/8

Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain

Saturation: Normal

Exposure Comp.: +0.7 EV

Auto Flash Mode: Repeating x 1/8

Sharpening: Normal

Lens: VR 200-400mm F/4 G

Sensitivity: ISO 400

Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV

2. But i think if you point a 200-400 VR lens on some people from a distance of 25 ft. they will also climb in a tree. Nice shot wish i had such a nice birdies 25 ft away from me.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

Looks pretty good to me. You are definitely getting there.

I haven't seen any hummers yet at my new feeders but they have only been up since Sunday night. I keep checking though. Maybe this afternoon. 8)

4. That is a beautiful photo. Hummers in trees are quite common... anyone else have some examples? I never get tired of hummer photos!

View attachment 11255

5. Good shot, Steve. I'm also impressed that at 25' you were able to even SEE it!! LOL

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks y'all. & Rory, wow! And, Sandi,

I almost alwyas see these little Hummers's pics at feeders, that why I made the comment about seeing them in actual trees! Great shots, Rory!
    Sandi, you're right, that little bugger was really hard to spot up in that tree, then find in the viewfinder of my 2-400!!

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida

I almost alwyas see these little Hummers's pics at feeders, that why I made the comment about seeing them in actual trees! Great shots, Rory!
    Sandi, you're right, that little bugger was really hard to spot up in that tree, then find in the viewfinder of my 2-400!!

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida

Sandi, you're right, that little bugger was really hard to spot up in that tree, then locate it in the viewfinder of my 2-400!!