Frank's Osprey

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tomerrifc, May 29, 2007.

1. I had the pleasure of going out with Frank yesterday where we went on a hike through the forest preserve to a spot where he's found these huge beautiful birds. I have to say that this was a first for me catching a bird of such in flight. Although we were both shooting from monopods we were literally hand holding both the lenses and monopods. I have the 300mm AF-S Mk I and boy that sucker got real heavy, real quick. Yikes what a chore. I realized very quickly that I was totally out of my comfort zone. Give me a baseball/football field any day anytime. :smile:

Thanks a bunch Frank, I had a ball.

2. Out of your zone?? Hardly! That's a GREAT shot!! :smile:

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Very nicely done!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shooting Ty...did you ever figure out what that guy was carrying? Always a pleasure to shoot with you and Tony....looking forward to this Saturday with Phil, Rich and whomever else tags along. Look out Chicago, here we come!:biggrin:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    If that is your first BIF Ty, then you have a bright future. As to competing with Frank for hand-holding strength, Frank's biceps are about as big as my thighs so I'd say that you had a pretty good challenge there. :biggrin:

6. Nice shot. An overhead like this isn't always an easy shot to make.

Louie

7. Very Well done Tyrone

8. Thanks Gretchen, but really I was totally out of where I feel comfortable shooting. Frank had me tagging along as we were walking thru deer paths and what not. I'm a city guy. All I could think about was stepping on a snake or something. Talk about having the creeps. GEEZ! :smile:

Thanks Andy.

Hey Frank, thanks. I owe it all to you. I did figure out what it was he had. When I looked at the images 100% it looks to be like half a fish. I guess all those trips he kept making over to the lake was apparently for breakfast. And I too am looking forward to the weekend to meet Phil and Rich.

Hey Flew, thanks a bunch. And no kidding about Frank and them guns he's packing. Holding that lens up over my head just proved to me how out of shape I've become. Where's the Advil???? :biggrin:

Thanks Louie, no kidding that is truly a tough shot to pull off. What a pain in the neck it can be but the end result was well worth the pain. All my life all I've ever wanted was a decent BIF.

Hey Gary, thanks a bunch. It was all luck, I haven't a clue. :smile:

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful shot:>))))

10. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Nice capture :)

11. That is great, Ty. I am hoping to make it back up for a football game, and if I do maybe you can show Frank and I something about birding!

12. excellent first BIF we hope to see many more, now try the 400 for weight :wink:

13. Very nice capture, Ty. Glad to see you're a birder too. :biggrin:

See you tomorrow.