Frank's Osprey

I had the pleasure of going out with Frank yesterday where we went on a hike through the forest preserve to a spot where he's found these huge beautiful birds. I have to say that this was a first for me catching a bird of such in flight. Although we were both shooting from monopods we were literally hand holding both the lenses and monopods. I have the 300mm AF-S Mk I and boy that sucker got real heavy, real quick. Yikes what a chore. I realized very quickly that I was totally out of my comfort zone. Give me a baseball/football field any day anytime. :smile:

Thanks a bunch Frank, I had a ball.

79650501.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice shooting Ty...did you ever figure out what that guy was carrying? Always a pleasure to shoot with you and Tony....looking forward to this Saturday with Phil, Rich and whomever else tags along. Look out Chicago, here we come!:biggrin:

If that is your first BIF Ty, then you have a bright future. As to competing with Frank for hand-holding strength, Frank's biceps are about as big as my thighs so I'd say that you had a pretty good challenge there. :biggrin:

Out of your zone?? Hardly! That's a GREAT shot!! :smile:

Thanks Gretchen, but really I was totally out of where I feel comfortable shooting. Frank had me tagging along as we were walking thru deer paths and what not. I'm a city guy. All I could think about was stepping on a snake or something. Talk about having the creeps. GEEZ! :smile:

Glacier said:
Very nicely done!

Thanks Andy.

eng45ine said:
Nice shooting Ty...did you ever figure out what that guy was carrying? Always a pleasure to shoot with you and Tony....looking forward to this Saturday with Phil, Rich and whomever else tags along. Look out Chicago, here we come!

Hey Frank, thanks. I owe it all to you. I did figure out what it was he had. When I looked at the images 100% it looks to be like half a fish. I guess all those trips he kept making over to the lake was apparently for breakfast. And I too am looking forward to the weekend to meet Phil and Rich.

Flew said:
If that is your first BIF Ty, then you have a bright future. As to competing with Frank for hand-holding strength, Frank's biceps are about as big as my thighs so I'd say that you had a pretty good challenge there.

Hey Flew, thanks a bunch. And no kidding about Frank and them guns he's packing. Holding that lens up over my head just proved to me how out of shape I've become. Where's the Advil???? :biggrin:

Louis Champan said:
Nice shot. An overhead like this isn't always an easy shot to make.

Thanks Louie, no kidding that is truly a tough shot to pull off. What a pain in the neck it can be but the end result was well worth the pain. All my life all I've ever wanted was a decent BIF.

hangin tree said:
Very Well done Tyrone

Hey Gary, thanks a bunch. It was all luck, I haven't a clue. :smile:

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Very nice capture, Ty. Glad to see you're a birder too. :biggrin:

See you tomorrow.

Latest threads

Top Bottom