Frans Lanting: Art of Bird Photography

I'm watching this live now on Creative Live (it's free).

A few observations:

His choice of equipment for birds currently is a Nikon 600/4 on a D5, 180-400 οn a D850, and 500/5.6 PF on a Z7.

He thinks cropped sensor cameras are things of the past.

Photographs mostly in Manual mode with auto-iso.

He uses matrix metering and auto-WB all the time.

He talks about stopping down from wide open to the sharpest aperture of your lens, but often uses f/22 up to f/45 :eek:. Hasn't he heard of diffraction?

He talks about stopping down from wide open to the sharpest aperture of your lens, but often uses f/22 up to f/45 :eek: . Hasn't he heard of diffraction?
I haven't seen the video but your paraphrase of it suggests to me that he's very aware of diffraction. Otherwise, he wouldn't have spoken about stopping down to the sharpest aperture. Even so, sometimes one needs to stop down more.

he's an incredible photographer.
He really is. I'll never forget the experience of seeing his presentation of some slides to an audience of about 200 to 300 people. After seeing a lot of really great images, the audience saw him display an image of three or four zebras with their hind ends facing the camera in a rather large landscape. My point is that the zebras were taking up only a relatively small part of the image. That image was one that most of us would not take, yet the audience immediately gasped at its simple beauty.

I haven't seen the video but your paraphrase of it suggests to me that he's very aware of diffraction. Otherwise, he wouldn't have spoken about stopping down to the sharpest aperture. Even so, sometimes one needs to stop down more.
I guess he values depth of field over sharpness in those situations where he used super-small apertures.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom