Fred Miranda or Nikonians Classifieds?

Over the past 3 years I have bought and sold a lot of photographic equipment on Nikonians. I thought I was set on my equipment, so I let my nikonians membership lapse. I also thought by the time I wanted to sell any more equipment I would qualify for the classified section of nikoncafé. I was wrong. I only have 250 posts after 2 years as a nikoncafé member and I need to sell one more lens to help pay for other photo gear.

That brings me to my question. I don’t have any experience with Fred Miranda, but I get the impression more equipment is bought and sold on FM compared to Nikonians. They both require about the same amount of money ($25?) to post on their classifieds. I had a good history on nikonians, but after nikoncafé became my forum of choice, I never seemed to check out their site. I will try listing the lens on my local craigslist first, but the market for Zeiss lenses in my metro area is much less than either of those two web sites. I may also consider eBay since this is a one shot deal.

Would Fred Miranda or Nikonians get the most exposure and have the greatest chance of selling a fairly expensive lens?

I've bought (though never sold) a number if items on FM. Its amazing how much activity there is on that site. I show 100 posts per page, and the oldest post on page 1 is 3 hours old!!

I'm a member of both Nikonians and Fred Miranda and have bought and sold on both for several years. Fred Miranda is much more active buy/sell section than any other forum I have found. They have a good feedback system and make it easy for buyers since it only costs a yearly fee if you want to buy. The lack of FM post count makes it easy for anyone to buy/sell, however like any Internet transactions you need to be aware of potential fraud. Getting started on FM is easier when you have other forum feedback for people to check out. With the price of eBay fees at 9%, the yearly fees for selling on FM are well worth it.

FM also has a great system which allows you to only bump your post every twelve hours. This prevents things like Nikonians when someone makes the slightest edit to their post and it gets bumped to the top.

I understand your "pain". I have been a member for a while and as opinionated as I am I find it hard to reach the 300 post criteria.

I have a ton I am selling and I am most likely going to list it on FM. However, I have had great success with both... but I find FM is very active.

Something else you can consider is that I don't goto nikonian cause I have to sign up. but it's free for me to register and view the FS forum on FM.

I understand your "pain". I have been a member for a while and as opinionated as I am I find it hard to reach the 300 post criteria.

I have a ton I am selling and I am most likely going to list it on FM. However, I have had great success with both... but I find FM is very active.
I go in spurts. I have been posting photos from a new lens, but it will still be months before I hit 300. I will start feeling the pressure to sell my lens when my wife starts getting the credit card bills from my latest purchase and one I just ordered yesterday.

FM seems to be the preferred classified site. I am just not familiar with their thread format. I like the nikoncafe format better.

Wow! Great list... never knew that existed! The scary thing is that 2 of the top 3 hardly, if ever, post here anymore!!! :eek:

Ok, back to topic after that little thread hijack... :wink:
And it took you 6,700 posts to discover it. I found out after only 255.

By a wide margin it looks like FM would be the better choice. I will try out craigslist for a week or two and then look into joining FM.

I just found out the photo equipment I ordered yesteday is on backorder, so I have a little leaway before the bill hits the homefront.

FM offers Image Upload on a monthly basis.
Subscribing to Image upload also gives you Buy & Sell Forum privileges.
The monthly fee is only $4.90.

And it took you 6,700 posts to discover it. I found out after only 255.

By a wide margin it looks like FM would be the better choice. I will try out craigslist for a week or two and then look into joining FM.

I just found out the photo equipment I ordered yesteday is on backorder, so I have a little leaway before the bill hits the homefront.

Zinger!!! :biggrin: I'll add to that... I had to be shown it... I didn't even find it on my own! :tongue:

Latest threads

Top Bottom