Freelance Photographer = No Life!

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 14, 2005.

1. So I've been freelancing for several months and I'll tell you, it's a struggle! Buying your own equipment, working by commission and freelance jobs while living in the big city is tough. You really have to have a few loose screws in your brain to do this as a profession. Everytime some 'up and coming' photographer ask me about the profession, I tell them to look for an alternative career! It's that tough nowadays. It really takes up a lot of your time and dedication to make it work. It's tough on your free time, social life and health. So for all those who think photography would be a dream job, it's not! I don't even have the energy to shoot what I want to shoot. You become a commercial photographic machine!

Would I do anything else? Heck no! The life of a free wheeling photographer living on the edge and by his wits, suits me in my hot headed mid-20s self!

Just my 2 cents on the business...

2. I understand completely Jonathan. Any job where you have to sell yourself day after day is difficult. It is also kind of fun.

3. Aw c'mon now, Jonathan. You get to spend some quality time with those beautiful models you shoot and you are going to hawaii for two weeks and you call that no life? :lol:

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    ;) :evil: ;) :twisted: ;) :mrgreen: ;) :evil: ;) :twisted: ;) :mrgreen: ;) :evil: ;) :twisted: ;) :mrgreen:
    ;) Yeah. Jonathan just posted this so we'd hate him. ;)
    ;) :evil: ;) :twisted: ;) :mrgreen: ;) :evil: ;) :twisted: ;) :mrgreen: ;) :evil: ;) :twisted: ;) :mrgreen:

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    at least he didn't post any photos that would make us feel sorry for him :wink:

jonathan, i have a friend of a friend down in socali who has a side job chasing stars. from what i've been told, it's a tough life, but he's enjoying it as you are too. you're at a good age to be doing the freelance thing, no ties and no obligatios :)

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I plan to retire during the third week of January, 2009 and become a full-time freelance youth sports action photographer. When I read Jonathon's comments, I get the impression that I am going to get "the look" from my wife now and then because of the strange schedule that I will probably keep. You know...basketball games one night, followed by girls volleyball, then more basketball and some wrestling, then gymnastics meets and football on Friday and Saturday. Oh, and did I mention post-processing every night before posting the images with Printroom.com or someone? Yep, something tells me that the transition from a full-time career plus two small businesses to a new full-time career is going to net me some "looks" now and then.

7. I think few people on this forum would not read Jonathans post with a certain envy. And I think he knows that, or wouldn't have posted!

8. Jonathan,

I guess this is more of a follow-up to your previous topic on salary vs. freelance

Thanks for update :)

9. Jonathan,

Welcome to the game! Believe me when I say
    I know exactly how you feel. I just shoot different
    stuff. It's a lot like work isn't it?

Cheers Paparazzo
    Robin