Freelance question

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by tech1961, May 21, 2007.

1. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    I have a local magazine that I occasionally send nature pictures into and they apparently like my work. They have published a couple of them recently. I sent some more in today and asked them if I was sending too much and I would back off. To my surprise I received an email back asking if I would do freelance work for them as they really like my work. I do have a full time job that I am not about to quit. I do not even know anything about the buisness aspect of photography. Do I let them make me an offer? I can work weekends and evenings. I dont think it will be too demanding as it is only a quarterly publication. Little league,local buisnesses and local functions in the city. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  2. You should take that as a fine compliment, Jimmy.

You're new to this, but they aren't. Ask them what their rates are for freelance assignments. Much depends on what they'll ask you to do. A few exteriors of a building is far different than covering a city council meeting. Just make sure they pay enough to make it worth your while... and that they cover your travel expenses.

I freelance for a local monthly magazine, and am more interested in the experience than in the paycheck. But when they started assigning events that required travel as far as 25 miles away, I had to ask for an increase in light of high gas prices. It's definitely cooled our relationship, but I got some great experience out of it, and it looks good in my resume.

3. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Thanks Frank. I am looking forward to the experience more than anything else. I am actually a little nervous. Thanks again Jimmy.

4. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

Ask them specifically, if they pay a Day Rate, and cover travel expenses, if you must travel a certain distance.
    In exchange they get your photos.
    While gaining experience is wonderful, since they approached you, they should be willing to pay you. If they don't like your work, they will just stop giving you assignments.
    In return, you should let them know what amount of time you will offer. Speak with there photo editor, or whomever contacted you, be professional and get paid for your work.