Fremantle Prison

I worked here briefly way back in the early 1980s in another life, and while I was in Fremantle my son yesterday I took the opportunity to go on a tour with him. I'd recommend it if anyone has the chance of visiting the place. It's apparently the only world-heritage listed prison in the Southern Hemisphere, and was only de-commissioned in 1991.. I've tried for some edgy processing, to match the vibe of the place. Thanks for looking.

The main cell block.
DSC0974-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Where the incoming prisoners had their first shower. After this, they were only allowed two showers per week, unless they worked in the kitchen.
DSC0972-XL.jpg

Where the teenagers were kept, early in the prison's life. They dismantled the ships in which they were sent from England to help build the prison. The floor is made from ship ballast, the the railings (not really visible here) are ship railings.
DSC0981-XL.jpg

Part of the kitchen.
DSC0982-XL.jpg

The main cell block is four stories tall. This shows some of the suicide netting, first introduce in the early 1920s.
DSC1007-XL.jpg

This was the holding cell for the gallows, last used in 1964.
DSC1027-XL.jpg

It was 60 seconds away from this. They used this particular knot to maximise the chance of a quick death by breaking the neck.
DSC1030-2-XL.jpg

Before they wound up down here.
DSC1029-2-XL.jpg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I agree with Andy about the gallows images; very powerful and chilling. I also like the grittiness that the PP gives in each photo. You've done fine work, here.

Thank you everyone - I really appreciate your comments. I'm glad you like them, and I'm glad that I managed to give a 'feeling' for the place.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom