French Cuisine for breakfast

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Sep 18, 2005.

1. This is part II of my morning at Juanita. I tried to get others to go but as it turned out I was on my own. It was a beautiful morning. The fog was lifting off the lake, the birds were out and ducks and geese were on the lake as well. After shooting pictures of the ducks in flight, I saw the little green heron off at the end of the cove, so I picked up my gear and headed there. I watched and waited for him to catch breakfast and finally he did. It was a frog :shock: :shock: I was hoping to get him swallowing it but he turned his back on me!! Here are some of the shots of him.

original.

View attachment 15625

View attachment 15626

View attachment 15627

After the meal he drank some water and then flew away.

View attachment 15628

As I was watching the green heron there was also a GBH in the grass but it never came out to eat. Also, I took a few of this small bird. I think it is a song sparrow but I am not sure.

View attachment 15629

2. Excellent cuisine ... shots Jim...

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent LGH shots Jim. I love the one with the poor little frog. You must have been fairly close to get such good detail.

4. Frank I was maybe about 50 feet away, so yes I was close. The little guy blended in so well with the lilly pads that I almost did not see him even though he was so close.

5. Wow James, nice series. The shots of the heron and the frog are so clear and colorful. Well done.

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent series of shots Jim.

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Well done Jim. The first 3 shots are excellent.

Neil

8. Nice series Jim, great detail and colors. Wish I got a chance to get some good shots of the little greenie!

9. Poor little froggie, man is there nothing these things dont eat? LOL Nice series James!

10. Thanks guys, it sure did help to be close in for the first series, then the darn bird turned and went into the shade. I underexposed the shot of him getting ready to take off :frown: :frown:

Keith you are so correct. They are eating machines for sure.

Harris I will trade you one greeny for one Sandhill crane :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2005
  11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

LGH and frog are excellent Jim

12. Thanks Ben. It was sure fun watching this guy.