Fresh fruits for Kristy

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 22, 2007.

1. My daughter-in-law is a nutritionist, and wanted pictures of healthy fruits and veggies to adorn her website. All it took was a trip to the supermarket, some strobes and umbrellas, and a 60/2.8 micro on a d200 to produce these.

View attachment 102186

View attachment 102187

2. Mmmm.....luscious! Those green grapes look as though I could reach out, pluck one from the vine and pop it right into my mouth! VERY nice job! :smile:

3. Thanks, Connie. I usually do my macro work in a light tent, but now that I've added umbrellas to my gear, I find I like the results better, and I'm less confined.

4. Tasty! Good job Frank.

5. I've used a light tent in the past, too, and various setups for tabletop photography, but I am beginning to see the appeal of a better lighting setup using umbrellas/brollies/softboxes/octoboxes whatever and so on.... The light tent can be definitely a bit too confining! The other day I experimented with something, shooting a flower, and I used a Plamp to suspend it, which made life a lot easier, and then played around with my Ego light and diffusers, etc., but I think the next time I set up to do tabletop photography I am going to explore Nikon's CLS, see how that works....

6. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Those tasty fruits just spurred me on to go and peel myself a grapefruit!
    Who knew that browsing photos could turn out to be so healthy!
    Nice shots, very 3D!
    Lisa

7. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Correction, eating grapefruit isn't as healthy as I thought. Squirted juice in my eye, and chomped on a seed just now.
    Maybe eating a seedless grape is less dangerous!

Lisa

8. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    ooo yummy, I can almost taste the grapes! Do yo have pictures of your set up Frank?

Cheers :smile:

9. Here's the setup.

10. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Uncle Frank - nice pictures and nice notation on the setup.

Thanks - learning is what I am here for and this type of instruction is awesome. Thanks again.

11. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Thanks for the illustration Frank, what's the use of the black umbrella?

12. It's a white umbrella, just like the other one shown in the setup. The strobe is firing into it, and it's reflecting softened light onto the subject. It has a black backing on it to contain any light spillage away from the subject. Removeable black backings are a standard feature for white umbrellas, as they allow you to use them in either "shoot through" or "shoot into" mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007

13. Glad you find it useful, PD. And as long as I'm revealing my secrets, here's how I held the cluster of grapes in position.

14. I was wondering if you were using a Plamp or a McClamp.... ah, you pulled in your trusty assistant instead! :smile: Gee, she has nice nail polish and nice nails!

15. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Thanks Frank, I learned something new again :smile: