Freshman Football

I was able to get out and photograph a high school football game yesterday. Here are a few images from the freshman game between Brother Rice and Benet Academy high schools.

The conditions were tough. I don't like harsh sunlight...but it is a lot better than poorly lit night games! The shadow and highlight recovery sliders in Lightroom are miracle workers!

2021-09-11 Brother Rice-249-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2021-09-11 Brother Rice-234-2.jpg

2021-09-11 Brother Rice-79.jpg

2021-09-11 Brother Rice-167.jpg

2021-09-11 Brother Rice-33.jpg

2021-09-11 Brother Rice-273.jpg

2021-09-11 Brother Rice-61.jpg

2021-09-11 Brother Rice-28.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Nice Glenn. How do those 2 cameras compare AF-wise for the sport?

Nice Glenn. How do those 2 cameras compare AF-wise for the sport?
Thanks Russ…it is really too early for me to tell. I haven’t used the Z7ii much for action yet. I really like the D850. The Z7ii had some blackout which made it more challenging for me to follow the action at times. But most of the frames seemed to be in focus.

Glenn

Great football moments. The long lens provides a nice effect. I work with a local High School coach who will get me on the sidelines to shoot an evening game later this month, just for fun. I actually sorta invited myself because I want to try shooting football that late in the day with a D500 and a nice 300 2.8 vr that I got from Randy two years ago. Kickoff is 15 minutes before sunset. (I might get eaten up by ISO issues.)

Last edited:
Great football moments. The long lens provides a nice effect. I work with a local High School coach who will get me on the sidelines to shoot an evening game later this month, just for fun. I actually sorta invited myself because I want to try shooting football that late in the day with a D500 and a nice 300 2.8 vr that I got from Randy two years ago. Kickoff is 15 minutes before sunset. (I might get eaten up by ISO issues.)
The 300 2.8 should be a nice lens for that. The light might be ideal for a short while. But unless the stadium lights are bright (unlikely), the night brings a challenge.

Glenn

Check the evenness of the lights over the field. That could be a problem.
At my HS stadium, we only have two light stands on each side of the field. So the lighting is not as even as it would be with four light stands on each side. The center of the field is 0, inside the 10 yard line it is -1 stop, in the corners -2 stops. :eek: And the running plays are usually into the corners.
Background in the corners and north end are DARK, so it is easy for the camera to overexpose the players, unless you go manual.

f/2.8 is a great aperture. I just can't handle the weight of the 70-200/2.8 lens.
Though I really could have used it at a game last year. That school was 1 to 1-1/2 stops dimmer than my field. :eek:

I shoot with a D7200 + 70-200/4.
I used to use: ISO 6400, 1/800 sec, f/4. But this past game I had to raise the ISO to 8000, and lower the shutter speed to 1/400. So I suspect the lights have aged and gotten dimmer. Next game I will raise the shutter speed to at least 1/500, and let the ISO go up as it needs to, probably 12800 :(.
Something interesting. I do not notice high ISO noise on the football field, like I do in the gym, so I can get away with a higher ISO. In the gym, the smooth white walls and light floor makes the high ISO noise stand out.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom