Friday Afternoon Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng45ine, Apr 13, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I was shocked to learn that the ballfield was playable. Here are a few from this afternoon. All images taken with a D2H, 300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR and TC-14E II.

The runner was thrown out at second base by the catcher.

The throw to first by the thirdbaseman. (A bit hot)

View attachment 90503

Putting the ball in play.

View attachment 90504

2. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    1 and 3 are outstanding....2 is pretty darned good also...

Wow....I am very impressed by this lens. You do good work sir.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Rod. I am not disappointed with the second image, but my settings weren't right for that shot. I am leaving the TC on as much as possible to get used to the added focal length. I am really pleased with the performance of this lens and TC, just hoping the weather cooperates so my shooting opportunties aren't impeded.

4. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Its great...just seems a bit over sharpened. To me anyway...

Not as crisp as the others.....

Can't wait for next week

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Great shots Frank. I'm going to have to give shooting baseball a try sometime.

6. Really nice work....and what a smashing lens/extender combination that seems to be.

Of the three pics, I really dig the last one....the way you've caught him up in the air after a funky hit...terrific!

7. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Wow, beautiful shots, Frank!

8. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Great shots Frank.

Like Rod, I prefer the 1st and 3rd, but that's not saying the 2nd is bad. Actually, the first is my favorite. I like the action.

9. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Excellent shots.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for looking and commenting everyone. This sure wasn't a great outing for me, but it was nice getting out again on short notice. Looking forward to a week's worth of shooting with the finale shooting shoulder to shoulder with Rod on Saturday at Illinois State University.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    well you picked right back up on your shooting Frank
    Very well done.

12. that rust sure wore off fast
    #1 is the best dirty pic I ever saw

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Randy...I appreciate the pat on the back. The more that I view that shot the more that I realize that it is way oversharpened. When I edit the set, I will make certain that I do not oversharpen it for them.

14. Way to go Frank that first one is great and the second doesn't look hot here at all. You are going to love that lens and you will see it performs fantastic with a TC. Well no shooting here tomorrow or for a few days we have a bad nor'easter coming in with a ton of rain in the forecast

15. These make my heart beat a little faster. I hope to shoot some next week.
    Great job Frank

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you both, I appreciate the support. Sorry to hear that your weather is heading south Mike, ours is finally moderating. I am looking forward to clicking several games this week. I am really enjoying my lens and TC, words just can't explain. Bill, get out and shoot something and bring back some images for us to learn from.

17. at the posted size it really looks fine on USM

18. Frank,
    I think that of the three shots, the first is far and away the best. It is well composed, well exposed and captures the action at a critical point. the yellow plastic horizontal fence cap is a bit distracting, but the background is what the background is, and you've tamed it as well as could be expected using a large aperture. My only suggestion is to crop a bit off the bottom (at the point where the ground comes into focus). Other than that, well done.
    The second andthird are nicely composed and in focus, but the subject matter you captured doesn't excite me as the first image does. Without an explanation, I'm not really sure what is happening in the third shot.
    My son played what we call Rep. baseball (I believe you guys in the States call those teams Travel Teams), and then University baseball, and now Senior ball here in Toronto, and I've shot his games on a number of occasions, so I appreciate the problems you have doing this kind of photography, and doing it well.
    I think in general, your stuff is pretty good, and some of it is excellent. Fine tuning and practice I think will help you improve your batting average.

19. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    #1 Rocks ,great shot

20. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you very much for taking the time to offer critique of my recent shots. I am always trying to improve and will take your advice putting it to good use.
    Thanks very much for checking out my shots and commenting.