1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Friday night Football

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by DRGSin, Sep 19, 2008.

1. DRGSin

DRGSin

Nov 29, 2007
    Indiana
    Hey everyone, been a while since Ive posted, although I have been dropping in from time to time to see all of your incredible work.

These were shot with the D3 and 400 f/2.8, 1/500sec @2.8 The 1st one at ISO 12800, the rest at ISO 10880. I bought the su800 and mounted my SB900 on the monopod and thought I was all set to shoot well into the night. For some reason (line of fire between the 2, perhaps??) the flash would fire only sporadically so I had to resort to high ISO's. C&C always welcomed.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    nice shots and what a testament to technology. The sporadic firing is why I used pocketwizards in my 'two flash rig...'

3. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Well done
    I use an SC Cable on mine

4. Great shots. You really demonstrate how well the D3 does at high ISO when nailing the exposure.

5. Nicely done try the sc29 cable next time to eliminate any firing issues

6. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    Very nice images. I need to stop looking at high iso shots it just tempts me too much to spend what I do not have. Where was the strobe in relation to the su800? In the Joe Mcnally seminar I just went to he mentioned that the su800 is very powerful but also very directional and the strobes need to be in front of the plane of the su800.

7. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    You said you dropped in to see some incredible work ..well you fit right in.

These are good shots, even more so, considering the ISO. I know you have to nail exposure at high ISOs, no room to cheat.

I really like #5!

8. Great job George! Like Patrick said, I need to stay away from high ISO shots, or, Randy's 400mm ones too :biggrin:

9. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I hear you..especially about Randy's 400 shots.

(I can hear that D3 and 400 calling to me...)
    :) 

10. DRGSin

DRGSin

Nov 29, 2007
    Indiana
    Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate them!

Thanks for the tip. Ill have to get one.

The flash was mounted directly below and to the side of the camera/su800. Funny thing is, it works at home! LOL. Thanks for the tip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.