1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Friday Night Football

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Well let me say this I hate shooting these events, the amount of keepers is so low, marketing to a group of people is so hard. So I think except for just for fun this will be the last game that I shoot for on spec.
    All these shots in my mind are below par, shot with the D3 and the 300 2.8 with 1.4 with a SB800 mounted on a bogen clamp on the mono pod.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Why do you think these are below par Mike? Agreed you have lofty standards and you keep churning out fantastic images so consistently (which really amazes me), but to ordinary people like me these are images I would be thrilled with, if I were to shoot 'em. The images are sharp and have your trademark crispness and lighting. What is there not to like about these :confused:  You are the master, Mike.

3. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    I would take these images any day. 5 times better than what I have taken this season.

4. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Mike,
    If this is the worst of what you have done, I'll take it anyday. Your color is good, focus seems fine, WB and crop are great, especially all the face and eye close-ups.

5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Mike ...I'd be thrilled if my images were "below par" like yours. How you got such sharp pics, is just amazing to me. I understand how bad the lighting is. It's almost a miracle you can get any pictures at all, and then to get some that are this good.
    Well, now I am depressed.
    Really good Mike.

6. bpfotog

bpfotog Guest

Below par? I think these are fantastic! I wish my stuff looked half this good. I have never used a flash at a football game sure does help fill in the shadows.

7. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Looks pretty darn good Mike
    1 and 3 are my picks

8. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Hey,Mike,
    You may consider these below par, but to me they look pretty good. I understand exactly what you mean about Friday nigh football, as I oftenget these assignments for the yearbook company I shoot for. I WISH I could get shots nearly as good as these! I use D300, 300mm f/2.8 (earlier AF model) and 80-200 2.8, with SB800 flash mounted on bracket above camera.

9. You can't ALWAYS have the McAteerian sky mister... and these are excellent considering the difficulty in shooting environment... many kudos.

10. ^^^^ Ditto! #2, #3, & #5 are my picks here Mike, very nice.

11. dboogie

dboogie

Aug 28, 2008
    usa
    oh yeah, these are waaay below par..how can you live with yourself!!!

i hope you can hear my sarcasm shouting from those words, cause i think all of those shots are fantastic!!! Heck, i'm scared to see what your "good stuff" looks like if these are below par:biggrin:

Keep on shootin'.....you definitely have the talent for it!!

12. C A ............. R A P !!!

How do you get 1/640 second shutter? High Speed Sync?

I quit.

Dennis

13. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Dennis...trust me, I know exactly how you feel after looking as Mike's images.:wink:

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These images prove that shooting Friday Night football can be done with success. It takes really good equipment and it takes a thorough understanding of exposure management techniques. We have to keep foremost in our minds that these high school football field lights were only designed to emit enough light for players to play and for spectators to view the action. No contractor ever guaranteed that still photography would be successful under these lighting conditions with or without a strobe. A couple of seasons ago, the only camera brand that would capture images like these sported the word "Canon" on the body, today.....the body says "Nikon". Technology has improved and the accomplised photographer puts the technology to maximum use. Mike.....thanks for sharing your images and your experiences, they keep the rest of us hungry to improve.

15. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Frank I was already hungry to improve..but after seeing Mike's Images, hunger has given way to depression. :wink:

Is there ANY subject Mike doesn't shoot well? I'm guessing...No. :smile:

16. Mike,

Just amazing, if these are ones you are not satisfied with WOW, even your standards are better then everyone's. I love looking at your shots and thinking about what I could do to come close. Thanks for the constant inspiration!

Bob

17. Thanks All

or the comments I really appreciate it, I guess what I was tryign to say is that one has to work entirly to hard to coem out with the volume of keepers need to generate sales to make your investment in time worthwile.

The plus is gettign to stand on the sidelines and watch some Varsity action is never a bad thing

18. Mike
    I did my 1st football game @ night last week.Mine aren't even good enough to throw away.Man you got it all right as usual.

19. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    That's the first time I've heard that....
    ".. not even good enough to throw away...".:biggrin:

But I can understand the feeling. :smile:

20. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Mike , as already said these are great.

I guess from a business standpoint you have to shoot these because you love the game and not primarily to make sales.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.