Friday Night Football

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mike mac, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Covered our team in terrible rainy condtions last night turned out to be a great game, deceided on the last play of the game Here are a few shots. These were with the D2X and the 70-200VR. Shot in manual mode f 2.8 shutter peed between 180-250 s ISO 800 with a preset WB.
    This kid had over 200 yards rushing for the game
    [​IMG]
    A tackle showing how sloppy it is
    [​IMG]
    After a sack
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots Mike.

Oh what a yukky night. Talk about pigs (skin) in slop....lolol

3. Thanks for looking Gale it was a great game, I know the pictures are not the best quality but they are what I ended up with

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    First and foremost, you did a great job with exposures Mike. Taking images of youth football at night is so difficult...even with an X. I really like the first two images because of the rain...great shooting!

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great job in horrible conditions Mike.
    One question, did you do something to protect the camera and lens in the rain or was it screw it, it is a tool and I am at work?

I tend to take the screw it, I am at work in poor conditions myself.

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I loved the second shot....Football players flying into the muck!!! I think deep down inside all of us is a little person who just wants to play in the mud (but now that I'm all grown up, I just can't bring myself to do it....or let my kids do it either).

Great shooting and thanks for sharing.

7. I was wondering about the weather and what you did to protect the camera too. Great shots, especially under the conditions.

8. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Very nice shots Mike. :smile:

9. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Rory,
    I don;t know what Mike uses, but there are several weath covers for camera with long lenses attached that work. I prefer the most inexpensive option, by a company called Fotosharp
    http://abetterphotoguide.bizhosting.com/camera_rain_covers.html

While some other covers are about $100 or more (haven ot used them), the Fotosharp option is about $30-40 depending. Once you get it at first you will wonder "is this worth $40, it is just plastic, I could do this myself", buyt it really works and I dont feel like re-inventing the wheel.

They have different sizes depending on lens usage, it has a vlecro flap at the bottom to allow for tripod foot and using on a monopod or tripod, and it works in bad weather.

They have a 10- day free trial, they send you the item FREE and you have 10 days to try it and then you send them a check for it. No brainer IMO.

10. Rory
    That night I used a heavy duty trash bag duct taped to the lens hood well it was a PIA so I ordered an Aquatech rain cover and still have not received it. I will let you know what I think

11. Thanks so much Dave looks like rain for tomorrow nights game again

12. Leigh there is soemthigna bout watching a game in these condtions it is fantastic. I used to play and loved these types of games as long as it is warm enough of course.
    Go ahead go out and play in the mud with your boys you all will have a blast
    :rolleyes: