1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Friday Night ISO 2000 Football

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng45ine, Aug 30, 2008.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I shot a high school football game last night at a new venue, the turf was pristene and the lighting was very bright. I was all set up to use a flash to shoot the game, but I opted to shoot at ISO 2000 instead. While these images are nothing real special in way of action, I was pleased to know the D300 could handle the lighting. I did run each image through Noise Ninja, but the images were real clean to begin with. All images shot with a D300 and 300mm f/2.8 on a monopod. I used Aperture Priority at f/2.8 and autoWB (I forgot my grey card). High ISO NR set to off and ADL set to off.

102382737.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 245219

View attachment 245220

View attachment 245221

View attachment 245222

2. Wow Frank, these look awesome for ISO 2000.

3. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Excellent Frank!
    Simply Excellent in terms of ISO, and photography!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Phil, we all strive for perfection, but I'm just not sure if perfection is possible under the lights at a high school venue. I was please not to have to use a flash, it was enjoyable to see what the new camera could do. My D2H bodies were noisy as can be above ISO 800, so ISO 2000 was a pleasant change of pace.

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Looking good Frank
    Looks like light was pretty decent for HS game
    Are you going to try and add Flash at some point this season

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Mark and yes, I know I'll be adding a flash, this venue was a treat but I know the dungeons are only weeks away.

7. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    wow that is really good lights for high school! lol What was your shutter speed? Seems like it was around 320 to 400?.

I like them though and even if you did set it with a white card the light recycling would have hurt them anyways :( 

**never mind to the question of shutter speed, just viewed your exif**

8. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Pretty darned nice Frank. . You did much better than I did last night. I even may toss
    the whole lot. We'll see.

9. Hooray! I've been waiting to see what you thought of football with the new body! :biggrin: These look great, and as others have said, impressive lighting for HS! Bet yer glad the season's started, eh? :smile:

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for viewing and/or posting everyone, I appreciate your comments. It's nice to be shooting football again, it has been a long and boring summer.

11. No Flash ????
    That's it...... I give up. I'm caving in.
    You realize when I tell "her" why,... you're in deep dudu over here : ~ )
    Simply amazing shots Buddy.
    I was shooting @ Crystal Lake last nite as well. Seems I've forgotten a few things !
    Going to shoot mid afternoon Soccer, outside, light of day.. woohoooo! in just a little while!

12. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Frank these are real good. I'm glad to see you were able to get these results with the D300. I have to shoot a couple of night games and was a little concerned. I was considering renting a D3, but I would be very happy if I could achieve results like yours.

13. frank,
    the D300 is MAGICAL...isn't it?
    your skill and the technology of that body.... a killer combination
    these are excellent

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks boys, as I mentioned, these are nothing real special, but I was pleased to know the new body was able to work in less than perfect lighting for action photography. With some flash lighting next time, I hope to improve.

15. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Your "nothing special" photos are better than my "good" photos. :smile:

16. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    good work Frank - I'm glad the thought and purchase process are working out. I think you can actually go a little higher with ISO and SS and still get very acceptable results.

17. WOW. Excellent Friday Night Shots!!!!

18. By the way Frank, what equipment and settings did you use?

19. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    I have to check with Visa and see if I can squeeze in the 300 f2.8:biggrin:
    Nice shots Frank. My 13 year old decided not to play football this year so he could have the summer off. He was the starting right guard last year. A chip of the old block. I had a blast on the sidelines shooting for the team. I miss it, but will find time to stop at a game and shoot a few for his friends.

20. Frank, these are some

good looking shots.

You said that the originals were pretty clean, would you be able to post a typical one for comparison against your Noise Ninja'd ones? Just curious to see the difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.