1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Friday Night Lights - Utah

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Sauk, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Well another friday, another game. Enjoy the images. All images have exif in the images. #6,7 Noise Ninja was applied.

103048619.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 252521

View attachment 252522

View attachment 252523

View attachment 252524

6. ISO 8000 1/500
    View attachment 252525

7. ISO 9000 1/500
    View attachment 252526

8. ISO 9000 1/500
    View attachment 252527

View attachment 252528

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  2. nice series, matt
    i think you did very well
    6 and 7 look fine with NN, too

thanks for sharing these with us

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    ISO 9000!!!!! Holy Smokes, I almost laughed outloud at 5:30am this morning. Isn't technology grand? Who would have thought ISO 9000 would be possible with Nikon bodies? These are really nice images and I am pleased to see the blow out backgrounds to expose the faces properly, you did a great job exposing to get such good faces. The flash-assisted shots are good too, just enough to make the image pop, but without making the numbers burn out. This is a really good set and I am very jealous because I did not get to shoot last night, way too much rain in my area and I don't own a life jacket.

4. some the best fb posted here in quite awhile !

5. Nice. The flashed shots are are really nice.
    Great work.

6. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Very well done series
    I like last o daylight shots best - then flash assisted - then high ISO

7. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    thank you all, that means a lot :) 

After I got the amount of images I believe I needed for maxpreps I began to shoot ambient light only shots.

I was quite impressed with the ISO 9000 shots to be honest. I seriously believe a 4x6 to 5x7 would look just fine with the ISO. But I still like the flash shots as it really gets the light into the helmets for the faces.

8. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Great shots Matt, I really like #9.

9. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Matthew these are awesome. Top quality shots for sure. I particularly like 4 and 5. Nice balance of lighting on those shots.

10. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Count me among the "impressed crowd" and I don't say that lightly. You got some shots here that are "poster material". No kidding!
    #1, #3 and #9 especially!

I'm also impressed with ISO 9000! That's just amazing! Of course, hi-ISO is useless unless you have good focus, sharp shots, proper exposure and composition. ALL of which you *nailed*!

Honestly, I'm both impressed and depressed. Including yours, some of the FB photos I've seen posted this morning are just incredible. I mean, to get quality like this on Friday night FB! I know from my attempts, shooting FB at night is not the easiest form of sports shooting.
    So I'm impressed with the quality posted here, and depressed, because I'm realizing my shots aren't nearly as good..and it's not my equipment. (D700 has same sensor as the D3) Therefore...I've run out of excuses.:biggrin:

11. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Matt, these are great! I love the IQ of the rig you're using, and you got some nice action!

I played with #6 and there is more in there. Do you ever use D-Lighting? Cranking on it opens up that face of the tackler pretty good.

12. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I have tried it, but I forgot to turn it on when i went to ambient at the end of the night. :( 

And again guys your making me blush over here, thanks for the nice comments! It was my best night shooting numbers wise. I had to stop editing for maxpreps because I had to many and I didn't want to spend all day doing them lol And to think the night started out bad by me going to the wrong school to shoot the game!

Thanks again

13. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    i was refering to capture nx, i know a lot og photogs seem to like it off in camera. my bad for not being specific

14. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
  15. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    oh yeah I never tried capture nx. I use Photo Mechanic/PS for my work flow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.