Friday Night Lights - Utah

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Sauk, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    well another friday, another flashed game. I felt off all night for the first time in a while. Sure I got enough for my job but my technique sucked last night. It was extremely windy and it was affecting my balance and shooting.

If I wasn't shooting for a certain company I would have easily shot ISO 4500 to 5000 all night long. I wish sometimes I could because the lights at this HS were perfectly placed for the field.

Anyways on to the images:

2. Flashed was used 1/1000 1250 ISO
    View attachment 254911

View attachment 254912

View attachment 254913

5. ISO 5000 1/640th
    View attachment 254914

6. 6400 ISO 1/640th
    View attachment 254915

View attachment 254916

8. 4500 ISO 1/500th
    View attachment 254917

View attachment 254918

2. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    they look very good to me
    they almost don't look flashed at all
    i will try the sb800 mounted below the camera next week (again)

3. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    randy this week I tried the flash bracket and again I think I finally realized I don't like it. I just feel like I get better flash coverage below the lens for whatever reason.

The ones where I put the ISO were the ones with zero flash used.

Thanks again Randy

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    u mean flash bracket above (like the joe demb bracket) vs flash clamped to monopod below camera ?
    I'm not found of either still but i didn't work with them enough last year
    Last night i was able to get 1/500 @ 2.8 and stay under 4k most of the time.....lots of shadows in the helmets so i'm gonna try ttl-bl-fp next week below the camera

5. A quick question WRT flash and continuous burst. How can I get the flash to fire on every shot? Last week when I tried it I would get one flash per 7 or so shots. I gave up and went back to high ISO's.

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Randy,

flash bracket above the lens. I have used it 2 times now and I am just not feeling the vibe with it. I feel like I shoot better with it below the lens.

Yeah I could have got that same ISO and speed but I had to get a certain amount shots so I had to make sure I got them. Usually I will shoot a bunch of shots from about the 7 minute mark down in the 4th quarter with just straight ISO no flash.

Voyager1968,

You will need to get an external battery pack in order to get a flash every time. But even then I would keep it to a quick 3 image burst otherwise you will fry your flash.

I use a quantum SC pack

7. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Great stuff here matt !!

8. Matt, you win. Flashed football might be coming for me as well.

What do I need exactly? Superclamp, SB-800, and a cord? I'll figure out the settings in a few days, but just need to know what I need for equipment.

9. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.