Friendly up-rez challenge

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by hillrg, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Further to Frank's up-sizing thread, where many up-rez methods were espoused, I would be interested in seeing what can be done with this example, which I think represents what Frank was interested in.

This file came from my D2h (had to find a puny file - sorry Frank :wink: ) and it should be representative as it is in reasonable focus, but exhibits some CA around the beak - normal situation.

The task is to take a small crop and blow it up to 3X.

Here is the original, which I saved to jpg at photoshop level 11.

original.

And the crop at 100% 300x300px.

View attachment 24315

Here is a photoshop uprez using bicubic smoother in one step to 900x900px..

View attachment 24316

If you copy the results to your favourite image browser and flip back and forth you will be able to see subtle differences. For example, here is an up-rez using ACDSee, which a local pro told me was the best at this. After looking at the results I do not agree. The eye starts to pixelate and the edges are over sharpened.

View attachment 24318

Okay, lets see all these fancy smancy methods in action :biggrin:

2. I too feel the photoshopped upsizing looks better

The one upsized using Photoshop appears better to my eyes as well.

3. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Rory,

Are you able to provide the NEF file? A JPG file would have its data massaged already which is never a good start.
    Thanks.

Henry

4. I can Henry, but I just wanted to see what the uprez would look like from a common file. I guess we could give anyone that wants it the NEF and work from there, but then we would be comparing entire workflows.

The NEF is 6.1 MB. Can you host it?

5. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
  6. Done.

7. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    [​IMG]

I think this one is larger than yours Rory. Sorry, I overshot.

For those who want to have a go, here is the NEF file:
    http://rodex.com/images/rory.NEF

Henry Goh

8. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    BTW Rory,

Looks like the bird has got high blood pressure because the blood vessels in his eyes were all pumped LOL.

Henry

9. Must have been the pressure of looking good for the phto session :wink:

Your uprez looks pretty good!

10. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Thank you Rory.

Henry

11. I find the best way to do this is (if possible) is to open the NEF in ACR and choose a larger size. Some of my D2H images opened in the 11MP size *don't need sharpening* - and compare very favourably with D200 images.

Ming

12. Can you give it a try and post the result?

13. Sure, would you be able to email me the NEF? Or do you mean with one of my own images?

Ming

14. Oops, I didn't see the NEF link earlier :redface: so I did it with one of mine:

[​IMG]

Ming

15. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Here is the image upsized using Genuine Fractals 4.1. I used the nef file, converted to tiff (no modifications in NC) cropped a section 300X300 pixels, then upsized. I then saved (for the web) converting it to jpg..

[​IMG]

Here is the link to the tif of the upsized crop:

http://justshootmestudios.com/images/posts/rory-upsize-tif.tif

16. Okay, upressed via ACR:

Ming

[​IMG]

17. peterdove

peterdove Guest

My Version - Using Raw Magick

Hi,

This is done using Raw Magick in high quality demosaicing mode and then quickly sharpened and upressed in PS.

rory.

Peter

18. Hi Randy

Your GF uprez certainly looks different from the PS version, with better sharpness around the pupil and other high contrast lines. Does the GF program act as a noiise reducer, or did you do that separately. Your version has that look, especially in the feathers above the beak/eye.

19. Thanks Peter. Nice detail in the eye.