Fringer EF-NZ Adapts Canon lenses to Nikon Z cameras

Does anyone have real-world experience with this adapter?

https://www.fringeradapter.com/canon-ef-to-nikon-z

The only review I can find online is by Ken Rockwell. He thinks it works quite well, and even goes so far as to say that Canon glass adapts better to the Z with this adapter than F-mount glass does via the FTZ.
I think this adapter won an award in Japan. Maybe order from somewhere with a healthy return policy?

Does anyone have real-world experience with this adapter?

https://www.fringeradapter.com/canon-ef-to-nikon-z

The only review I can find online is by Ken Rockwell. He thinks it works quite well, and even goes so far as to say that Canon glass adapts better to the Z with this adapter than F-mount glass does via the FTZ.
It may, but Ken Rockwell thinks every new thing is incredibly better as long as you buy through his links . . .

They do make some interesting primes that Nikon doesn't, such as the 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2. In truth, I would probably not further complicate my kit with such stuff, so I'm just musing.
Those are exactly the 3 Canon primes I'd get to use on a Z body...oh and the 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake!

Real Name
Aaron
From what I have read on other forums, the adapter works well with most Canon EF lenses; it seems a small number of lenses have issues...

I seriously considered the Fringer adapter and Canon's 40mm STM pancake lens for a small walk-around kit with my Z6. Ultimately, the cost of lens+adapter turned me off, since I don't have (or have access to) any Canon EF glass. Of course, I then went and purchased the 35mm 1.8S for more money... ha!

I'll just wait for the "compact" Z-mount 40mm at this point. Since I just bought the 35mm, the 40mm will be along around the time the return window closes!

Real Name
Andy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have (or have access to) any Canon EF glass
Actually, to some extent, we all have access to a fairly large supply of used market Canon EF glass on the used market. The lenses that are truly unique to Canon (at the moment) are actually quite a good value, even with the cost of the adapter. When Nikon gets around to producing f/1.2 glass, it will likely be prohibitively expensive for at least the first few years after release. In the meantime, "Canikon Frankenlens" options seem interesting to me. I've never actually used anything faster than an f/1.4 with AF, but this seems like a reasonable way to give it a try.

Real Name
Andy
Update (in case anyone is interested):
I found good prices on a used Fringer EF-NZ and two Canon primes. Justification for me to give this concept a try is that there really is no Nikon substitute with AF capability for the 50mm f/1.2 and the 135mm f/2. Both are potentially very useful to me for portraiture. The adapter arrived today and the lenses are on their way.

Real Name
Andy
I can now confirm that the Fringer EF-NZ did a pretty good job autofocusing a Canon 50mm f/1.2 lenses on the Z6:

Canon_50_20200911_14_400694_20C_5501.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AF worked reasonably well with the 50, but I could not get Animal Eye AF to activate, perhaps because of the working distance. EXIF data for focal length and max aperture passed through correctly, so it was not necessary to set non-CPU lens data.

Last edited:
I have this adapter and a Canon 180mm macro lens. I use it on a Z7 and it is now my go to maro set up. I posted some photos here a few days ago. Here two more recent photos
:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom