Fritillaries like Heliotrope and Butterfly Bushes!!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Hi All,

Well, I finally had a single visit by a Great Spangled Fritillary!! They really like heliotrope and butterfly bushes!! I was hoping to attract more with my red passion vine, but no luck! Maybe I will plant the purple passion vine next year.

Anyway, check out the interloper at the bottom of this photo:

large.

I have loads of skippers all day. They are so much fun to watch. This one was fascinated by me and followed me from flower to flower.

Fritillary on Heliotrope:

View attachment 110164

I tried to capture the detail on the wings:

View attachment 110165

More butterflies?? I try to upload a few samples every few days at: http://www.pbase.com/cympearson/butterflies-2007

2. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Very nice Crystall

3. WOW!:eek:Crystall, I'm gonna have to learn how to do this! You certainly have some beauties here! I love butterflies! Gorgeous job too!

4. Nice. Congrats on landing that one. Your gardening paid off.

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Those are great, Crystall. Your butterfly buffet:wink: is really paying dividends.

6. Thanks Jeff.

Thanks Dianne. I love watching the butterflies on my deck. The skippers don't seem to mind the heatwave; they are frollicking everywhere. The swallowtails show up in the morning. It's kind of funny, because as long as the butterfly bush was blooming the STs wouldn't feed from any of the other plants. The heatwave is slowing down the bloom cycle on the butterfly bushes, so now the STs aren't so picky. I caught a few of them feeding on the heliotrope this morning!! I wasn't quick enough to get good photos though, yellow on purple is so pretty!!

It sure is Glenn!! I am already designing next year's garden!! :biggrin:

It sure is Bob. I am also removing a few flowers from my shopping list. I think I prefer perennials that constantly bloom. My stokes asters are failing and most of three of my cone flower pots are in sad shape. I think I will stick with purple next year. Or, perhaps they will come back stronger in their second year. I can tell you that lantana and blanket flowers are a winning combination, but I will definitely separate them next year!! :wink:

7. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Hi ,I just thought I'd show some of mine Crystal.Hope you like

DSC_3030copy.

DSC_3096copy.

DSC_3085.

8. Dang! I"m sooooooo GREEN with envy! No butterflies around my yard! Gorgeous!

9. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    looks like

Looks like you got pretty close to those butterflies! Nice colour!

10. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Great shots Crystal. I haven't seen spangled fritillaries before, just gulfs and varigaited. I planted some wild passion flowers(purple) and have quite a few caterpillars munching right now. The cocoons open after 7 days. (found out yesterday) So far I have missed them emerging, but I did catch one before it flew off.