From bedroom window...

Real Name
Steve
Our master bedroom has three identical windows facing the pond in the back. My wife put plantation shutters inside on all three. In the center window, I removed the screen and can gently open that window to photograph birds from inside the house, but probably less than 50 feet away. It sure isn't Viera Wetlands, but not bad from my bedroom window!

DSC_0421b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Steve
Same bird a couple of steps later.

DSC_0426b.jpg

Real Name
Steve
When it is an image that presents to me quickly, I dial in a shutter speed and shoot to capture it. On the chance that it might take flight, I want a fast enough shutter speed to get a decent BIF shot. I looked out the window while unpacking a box and saw this bird, so reacted quickly. Soon, once we're all unpacked, I'll park a tripod and stool there and work the camera and lens more. Long answer, sorry. Short answer...I went for the 1/1000 to grab a potential BIF.

I completely understand the fast shutter speed. Especially at 500mm with a subject that could rapidly take off. Heck I go faster than that when I can.
I didn’t understand the f13 setting. Costs a lot of light and at least for me usually makes my backgrounds more distracting. Not even getting into the diffraction arguments,etc.
But honestly, just asking so I can learn. I learn a lot asking when photographers do things differently than I.
Gary

Lucky you to have a window like that!

I completely understand the fast shutter speed. Especially at 500mm with a subject that could rapidly take off. Heck I go faster than that when I can.
I didn’t understand the f13 setting. Costs a lot of light and at least for me usually makes my backgrounds more distracting. Not even getting into the diffraction arguments,etc.
But honestly, just asking so I can learn. I learn a lot asking when photographers do things differently than I.
Gary

Agreed. At f/5.6 one could get 1/1000s at iso200. There certainly is no visible noise in these, but f/5.6 would produce a smoother background and at 500mm the focus zone should still be plenty deep.

Real Name
Steve
And I’d agree when perched on a stool waiting for a shot. In this possibly fleeting instant I grabbed the camera, threw it into shutter priority, dialed in 1/1000 and shot away. As it terned (bird pun) out, I got three frames off before it started walking briskly along water’s edge. I’m happy with this generally, and can always coulda/shoulda after, but first wanted to be sure I got a shot I could work with.

And I’d agree when perched on a stool waiting for a shot. In this possibly fleeting instant I grabbed the camera, threw it into shutter priority, dialed in 1/1000 and shot away. As it terned (bird pun) out, I got three frames off before it started walking briskly along water’s edge. I’m happy with this generally, and can always coulda/shoulda after, but first wanted to be sure I got a shot I could work with.

So the camera chose f/13 in shutter priority? Wow.

I certainly agree with your choice of shutter speed and I understand that the f-stop was not your conscious choice. But I am surprised the camera did that. Something for me to watch for as I learn my new Z50.

Real Name
Steve
Said window at dusk tonight. The grasses are in the foreground. This is a bit of a wide angle, so they are a bit closer than this shows.

DSCF0829b.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom