From Cape Canaveral

Discussion in 'Merritt Island II' started by Kevin Scott, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Haven't seen any of these birdie shots yet....

This was on Monday afternoon, after Viera and the Zoo. Frank invited us back to his beach house and we shot pelicans from the balcony. Well, they shot only pelicans. I needed the practice so I shot gulls too.

Managed to get a few keepers out of the bunch. I know lots of people don't like gulls and call them sea rats but I kind of like them and they do make good practice targets.

Here's one of my better pelican shots:
    [​IMG]

And here's one gull:
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good going Kevin...

I practiced and got none :<((

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice job, Kevin! I always loved gulls as a kid...I remember we always took stale bread when we went to the beach just like we took it when we went to the duck pond. Sometimes we'd have hundreds of those things swarming us...ah, to be a kid again...I think you and I think alike. ;-)

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kevin,

I've just barely looked at my shots from Monday. I'll be processing for a month at this rate.

Nice pics. :wink:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have some from the first shoot not processed. OMG.. We want more ???? I know we are crazy....!!!

6. Thanks for looking, Leigh. You may be right. I always thought sea gulls were neat birds. It was only after coming to FL and seeing them swarm around people feeding them on the beach that I began to think less of them. Errrr....ummmmm....... just kidding. It would get a bit frustrating though when we were on the beach enjoying the sun and breeze and some tourists would start throwing food up in the air, creating a huge swarm of gulls, squaking and such. We immediately left, then, to avoid the droppings from heaven! (if you know what I mean).

7. Gale and Frank, I know what you mean. I still have so many, I just don't know what to do with them. I got rid of any that were blurry or cut off, etc, but there's still so many left. Then I was there Sat and Mon, then Fri at the Rookery. That's about 2500 pics right there. Plus I have them from my local outings recently. I took 40 of my youngest daughter and about 75 of my oldest daughter and now need to go through those. Then hopefully if Arlene is gone I can go to the Gatorland Rookery and shoot another 800!

Maybe this photography stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe I should just switch back to film and shoot more conservatively. ;)

8. Kevin

Let me know how you Gatorland trip turned out.

The latest that I have been there was mid May.

Russ

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Kevin -

Nice captures, especially the pelican shot. I don't remember what you were shooting with. Admittedly with little practice so far, I'm finding it really hard to get flight shots with a long lens on a tripod. I know a lot of folks who carry a second body with something in the 200-300 range on a strap so they can grab it real quick for a hand-held shot when opportunities come up. I know that I can get the xxx birdies in the viewfinder, acquire focus and then track them a whole lot easier hand-held.

And don't let anyone diss you or your seagulls. Yeah, there are a lot of them and they hang around people, docks, etc. But they are beautiful birds. They make for great images as well as great practice.

Hope to see you at Merritt III some time this fall.

Gordon

10. OMG! Spent the day there today! I right hand can barely function, it's so sore from holding my camera. What a place! I'll post a new thread about it along with some shots. I literally walked in the door and they're downloading now. 2 gigs worth of shots.

11. Hi Gordon. I was using my 300 f4 AFS. At first I was using it on the tripod but ditched that idea and started shooting handheld. It's much easier. Got lots of pics with that darn roof in the corner! ;)

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kevin, can't wait to see your Gatorland shots. Hurry!! :lol:

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ololol Frank is ready to shoot some more..

Hurry Kevin.

I want to see also.

I am crazy too.

Kevin I bought the 70-200 VR and TC 1.4 EEEEKKKK

Happy Birthday to me!!!! lalalalalala

14. You've got to be kidding!!! Hurry? I took over 800 shots there again today before they booted me out. 6pm comes too soon! I'll be working on them in the next couple of days. I got some good ones, Frank. All thanks to you--I shot manual! ;)

15. You've got to be kidding!!! Hurry? I took over 800 shots there again today before they booted me out. 6pm comes too soon! I'll be working on them in the next couple of days. I got some good ones, Frank. All thanks to you--I shot manual! ;)

16. You've got to be kidding!!! Hurry? I took over 800 shots there again today before they booted me out. 6pm comes too soon! I'll be working on them in the next couple of days. I got some good ones, Frank. All thanks to you--I shot manual! ;)

17. Oh dear! You weakling! And it's only been a week since you started on the prowl! :) Well, let me know how you like it. I think I can smell VR myself.... :roll:

{just planted the seed for the 200-400 with the wifey-poo. Yeah, right...fat chance. Guess I'll need to sell lots of portraits!}