From Cornwall England to New Orleans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Sep 8, 2005.

1. I thought that some of you in the USA might like to know that just 8 miles away there is a massive aid relief operation in process that is allied to the Rotary Club. The 'Shelter Box' is a marvellous charity that helped with the victims of the tsunami and is now sending these boxes to New Orleans.

The boxes contain massive tents, blankets, water purification equipment, medical supplies plus many other items. I am not a great "giver" to all the appeals that bombard us these days, but this is one of the very few I do support.

Best wishes. Bob F. Cornwall.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. and to add to this, Canada is sending two ships and one coastguard cutter, all filled with medical supplies, staff etc. Take good care of these ships - this is our whole Navy!!!*LOL* And after this, I don't wanna hear any more jokes from our suthern neighbours about the size of our Navy *LOL*
    There's a whole lot of aid on it's way that's not making the news.

4. That is really nice to hear. They need all the help they can get down in that area. My son was deployed there with the 82nd Airborne and I just fininished talking to him on his cell phone. He is seeing the devastation up close and personal.

England and Canada would certainly be two of our closest friends and allies.

5. It's nice to hear that people from throughout the world are concerned and willing to contribute whatever they can to help. I know it is greatly appreciated.

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the giving, everyone...I am sure it will all be put to great use. I also thank you for giving me something positive to focus on. It seems that when I watch the news, all I see is the negative. It's nice to hear about how much good is going on as a result. Thank you Canada and Thank you United Kingdom!

7. Leigh, I agree with you that it's really nice to see news like this. Restores faith that there is some sanity remaining when you see these kinds of efforts going on.

I have to admit that I have intentionally stayed away from watching coverage of this "event" on the news... just didn't seem like there was a worthwhile reason to. I'm afraid that I too often don't feel like the news coverage for any major event is very objective nowadays. The competition to "scoop" everyone else on the sensational stuff seems to create a very distorted view of things, and there's not many non-profit (or non-agenda) news agencies out there to cover things, are there? The more "normal" and mundane parts of the recovery efforts just don't get the ratings up like the absurdities.