From D80 to D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by MikeT, Jul 10, 2008.

1. I have been looking to upgrade from my D80 to the D300 and have a few questions.

Does the D300 metering constantly overexpose like the D80? I have to keep my D80 around .7 to a full stop to adjust for exposing ETTR on the histogram.

How about weight differences? The D300 about 9 ounces more than the D80. I shoot both handheld and tripod. I guess one gets used to the weight after a short while.

Is the D300 viewfinder comparable to the D80 in brightness?

With the few lens I have below shoudn't be a problem?

I shoot about anything but very few portraits. I do want to shoot more low light and the D300 seems to excel over the D80 from what I have read.

I always shoot RAW and either process with CS3 or NX2. Of late I have been favoring NX2.

Will I want another camera body after this one? Of course!:biggrin:

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

MikeT

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    You never reduce your exposure for ETTR. You should reduce your exposure to prevent blowing 'important' highlights, but not to always prevent blowing any highlights. And expose to the right is supposed to mean increase your exposure if you can (some like to think of it better as 'expose away from the left'). If you took a shot of a subject with very little dynamic range, you could end up with a histogram showing all the detail in the middle, and nothing to either side. If the subject is mid grey, that exposure is correct (the way you'd want it for a colour slide). But for digital ETTR suggests that you should over expose the shot (and later reduce is PP), because your sensor works best towards the highlights (less noise).

The metering will depend on the mode (what do you use). Some haven't been happy with the D300's matrix metering, prefering to stick with centre weighted or spot.

The D300 does have a greater dynamic range to start with, which should help your exposures.

Some prefer the D40, some prefer the D3. There will be a difference between the D80 and D300, so you really have to try before you buy. It's important that it feels good to you. If you prefer the size of the D80, it shouldn't be too long before you can buy its replacement (D90).
    Yes it does.

3. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    If you shoot in RAW, I'll also add the D300 RAW files have a very large amount of head room. Makes shooting ETTR a piece of cake.

4. This is what I do but I still have to reduce by .7 to 1 stop otherwise the whole histogram is pretty much crammed up on the right side. From what I have read on the net the D80 exhibit this (flaw?) in its metering.

I use center weighted mostly, sometimes spot.

A plus for me here!

From looking at side by side pictures of the D80 and D300, I didn't think the size difference was that significant. I do plan on stopping by a local camera store to check out the D300 today.

Thanks Triggaaar,

MikeT

5. Seems to be much harder for me on the D80.

Thanks,

MikeT

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    So you set ev to -0.7 and the histogram is still crammed to the right? Blimey, that does sound a bit much. Sounds like you are obviously doing the right thing (assuming you're just preventing important highlights from blowing), but although you histogram is to the right, I wouldn't call that ETTR, which imo really only applies to adding +ev (just a technicality).

Yep, better dynamic range is great for everyone, a real bonus of the D300.

You're welcome :smile:

7. Triggaaar,

Actually I had it backwards. :rolleyes:
    If set on zero EV, the histogram show dark. I have to add +EV to lighten.

Thanks again for your help,

MikeT

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  8. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Same depth, but the D300 is about half an inch wider and taller, and the D300 weighs 50% more than the D80 (9 ounces), so your gonna feel that. For me, the D300 balances beautifully on my heavier lenses and I wouldn't be comfortable with anything bigger or smaller -- i.e., I think it's just right.

9. Hey, thanks Tony! Now that you're accustomed to the weight.
    If you pick up a D80 you'll probably say, wow how light! :biggrin:

MikeT