From days long ago - one of our old shops

Hope you like

Best wishes

Ray

8740700025_f5ef2759ff_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

How it "might" have looked

8740701665_64067b50ab_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi all,

Many thanks for the kind words...really appreciated.

Bob, we sold these shops but I have my own business which is purely property/real estate....I buy and let.

Doug...for the colours I used a new layer set to colour mode for each but I wanted to do, hand painted and then applied a hue/saturation adjustment layer to each coloured layer to change/adjust colours etc.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
Ray

Hi all,

Many thanks for the kind words...really appreciated.

Bob, we sold these shops but I have my own business which is purely property/real estate....I buy and let.

Doug...for the colours I used a new layer set to colour mode for each but I wanted to do, hand painted and then applied a hue/saturation adjustment layer to each coloured layer to change/adjust colours etc.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
Ray

Thanks, Ray. Just to be clear, you used a separate layer for each color you added? That is (potentially) a lot of layers. I have done some (more modest than your example) colorizing of some old photos. I followed a similar path but used selections to isolate areas for painting and HSL adjustments.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks, Ray. Just to be clear, you used a separate layer for each color you added? That is (potentially) a lot of layers. I have done some (more modest than your example) colorizing of some old photos. I followed a similar path but used selections to isolate areas for painting and HSL adjustments.

When I have done this I have always used multiple layers, with each layer having a mask for the area it deals with. This gives enormous flexibility and allows one to change the effect for each layer as one sees the result with other adjacent layers. One can sample the colours from other photographs, to improve authentiticy. I have certainly had 20 or 30 layers, with names like "under chin", "nose", and so on. Having lots of layers works perfectly. Of course the machine must have plenty of memory.

Thanks again...

yes Doug...a seperate layer for each bit. I did one the other day and realised the image I was working on was a very large original and noticed my pc slowing a little (quad core and 8GB ram) and realised the file was 700MB plus!!! Stacks of layers and adjustment layers etc...So I had to reduce the image size....

Anyway, as Richard says, it does give total control and flexibility...

Best wishes
Ray

When I have done this I have always used multiple layers, with each layer having a mask for the area it deals with. This gives enormous flexibility and allows one to change the effect for each layer as one sees the result with other adjacent layers. One can sample the colours from other photographs, to improve authentiticy. I have certainly had 20 or 30 layers, with names like "under chin", "nose", and so on. Having lots of layers works perfectly. Of course the machine must have plenty of memory.

Reworking old photos I use lots of layers. Makes me appreciate fast, modern cpus and inexpensive RAM. :biggrin:

Thanks again...

yes Doug...a seperate layer for each bit. I did one the other day and realised the image I was working on was a very large original and noticed my pc slowing a little (quad core and 8GB ram) and realised the file was 700MB plus!!! Stacks of layers and adjustment layers etc...So I had to reduce the image size....

Anyway, as Richard says, it does give total control and flexibility...

Best wishes
Ray

I have noticed the need to occasionally work at a lower resolution (temporarily) when painting backgrounds from scratch using large mixer brushes. I have been teaching myself your forte: smudge painting. Hope to have something worthy of posting for critique before too long.

Hi Doug...look forward to seeing your work....always nice to try to pick up and share ideas.

Best wishes
Ray

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom