From Duddon Bridge English lakes

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RayGuselli, Nov 13, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

I know there is processing in this shot so have posted in retouching; however, just hoped it may be of interest.

Been using pWL for a while now but had not realised the difference that can be made using colour in the PWL process.

Here is a before and after.

Any comments, advice and help always appreciated.

Many thanks

Ray

Original

[​IMG]

PWL and colour

[​IMG]

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ray :

This is exactly the kind of photograph that benefits from the use of a gradient neutral density filter. When the sky is so bright and you have lower luminosity foliage, a grad-ND can let you nail both areas of exposure without extensive post-processing.

I'm personally of the "out-of-the-camera" approach for exposure as much as possible, and then apply all the neat technology for the things I couldn't address when taking the photo.

But you've done well with the existing material. Kelby's or Shaw's book might offer some more intensive post-processing approaches for applying a gradient in Photoshop for this.

Lastly, consider using the C&C designation in the thread title along with the new icon for posts like this. It will bring the thread into focus (pun intended) for people who offer comment and critique here at the Cafe.

John P.

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    John

Very many thanks - really appreciated.

Now you have cost me some money - because I am going to get some filters! I think you are right and as you say, out of camera would then be stronger.

I will look again at the application of a gradient and try to get some help on that - any thips you have would be really appreciated as I am relatively new to this. (Started December 2004)

John, I am new to NC so had not realised the use of icons as suggested - learning all the time!

Very best wishes and thanks

Ray

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ray :

Glad to assist however I can. We're all learning here, and all of the time... :wink:

On the grad-ND area, ask around a bit on this. There are different gradient levels available, some placed in a "standard" filter, others where you can adjust the gradient (usually in a Cokin filter body), and, as you'd expect, each type has its adherents.

If I were you, I'd research this for a bit of time before you go forward on purchases.

On the book front, if you seach Amazon for Scott Kelby, you'll find his book on PS-CS for photographers. John Shaw has a fine book on landscape photography (or you could just stop in a bookstore and look at them - I saw the Shaw book at B&N yesterday for example).

John P.

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks John

Will take your advice - really appreciated

Ray

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Reworked

Hi

Following some helpful suggestions in another forum I have reworked to selectively reduce contrast and change the sky.

Is this an improvement please.

All the best

Ray[​IMG]

7. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Also consider that if (for this kind of shot) you're using a tripod, then a series of pics from -2EV thru to +2EV blended as an HDR (using, for example, 5 shots) or just a blend of 2 of them in Photoshop/Elements can save you a lot of money in filters.

I don't have PSCS but do use Photomatix pro to combine series into HDR and the results are excellent in high contrast shots.

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Peter

Peter

Many thanks yet again - it seems I have so so much to learn.

That wis how I should have done it by the sounds of things.

However, literally no space for a tripod as there is no pavement on the bridge and traffic can be heavy.

However, for futire reference I think I will try that and again - really appreciated.

Very best wishes

Ray

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

The reworked image is very fine now, all it needed was a better sky. The advice given re exposing frames for both the sky and darker foreground then blending in CS is a good way to go.

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Hula Mike

Many thanks

It seems there is ever more and more to learn!!!

However, this is a great way and place to learn.

Comments appreciated....

very best wishes

Ray

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

You obviously possess the most important ingredients already, a good eye and remarkable editing skills.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Print and Hang Ray

Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!