From my deck

Discussion in 'Birds' started by EdMac, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Here are a couple shots from my deck at home. The Rose Breasted Grosbeak is a rare visitor to my feeder. It showed up yesterday morning, and I have not seen it since. I got this with my 300 f2.8 and my good old D100. The Cardinal is a regular visitor. The Red Bellied Woodpecker was taken handheld with my 70-200 f2.8 VR and the D100. This was taken at my trailer. Comments welcome as always.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice shots Ed, good to see you posting. How do you like that beast of a 300 f2.8? Seems you're making good use of it.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super shots, Ed!

Esp of that Grossbeak. Never saw one before. Very unique! The others are very sharp too. Tell me though, how is it your exif data isn't there when I try to view it with my IE plugin, EXIF Viewer? Are you doing a "Save For Web" instead of a "Save As"?

4. Ed,
    I like the one of the red bellied woodpecker the best. The grossbeak is nice but apears oversharpened and has a noticible halo.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very good shots Ed. I like them all, but especially the 1st and 3rd.

I take it that you are liking the 300 2.8?

Regards,

Frank

6. Posting

Hi Harris,

The birds are finally coming back, so I finally get to take some pictures. Thanks for your comments

7. Re: Super shots, Ed!

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your comments. This is the first use of my new copy of Photoshop CS2. Other than that, I using my normal workflow of NC 4 and then CS 2 for sizing and framing. I'll have to check.

8. Sharpening

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your comments. I agree about the sharpening. I was trying to bring out the detail in the black feathers, and I guess that I pushed too much. That black edge really shws the halo. I will reprocess the image, and see what I can do with it.

9. 300 f2.8

Hi Frank,

The 300 f2.8 saved my cookies on the first picture. It was a rainy overcast day. I tried using the 80-400, and I was gettin exposures of 1/20 sec at f 4.5. My old shaky hands didn;'t do well, even with VR. The 300 on the Sidekik did the job. I love that lens.

10. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots Ed! I like the woodpecker best -- been trying to catch one of those in a photo recently but he's always on the wrong side of the tree!

11. You gotta love #3 (my fovorite). That is such a beautiful woodpecker.

12. Woodpecker

Hi Don,
    Thanks for your comments. Yes they are a little skittery. Keep trying, and you will capture it.
    :D

13. Woodpecker

Hi Gordon,
    Thanks for the nice words. I got lucky on this one. He kept hiding behind tree branches. :)

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really Great birdies you go there Ed,

Nice find on the rare one.

So your at your summer place. Thats great. Have a wonderful summer
    and post lots of creature shots.

15. NIce shootin' Ed. The detail in your shots are great!! :D :D :D

16. Hi Gale,
    Yeah, the season has finally arrived, and the birds and animals are stirring. I hope to get some decent shots, this year. :D :D

17. Hi Bryan,
    Thanks for your comments. I got a little heavy on the sharpening on the first one, but this was kind of a rare bird for these parts, and I was anxious to post it.. At least I have only ever seen one around here. :)