From my front porch

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Weighed down with yard and house work I took a few breaks on my front porch with the D2H before I send it in tomorrow for repair. The first three were ISO 800 cause stupid me forgot to change it back from the baseball game. All shots with the SB800 Nikon 300 f4 plus 1.4 tele and my soon to be repaired D2H
    Male Purple House Finch
    original.
    Date/Time 24-Apr-2005 09:17:56
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used Yes
    Focal Length 420 mm
    Exposure Time 1/200 sec
    Aperture f/9
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance (4)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program manual (1)
    Female House Finch
    original.
    Date/Time 24-Apr-2005 09:40:03
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 420 mm
    Exposure Time 1/500 sec
    Aperture f/9
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance (4)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Male Cardnial
    original.
    Date/Time 24-Apr-2005 08:57:06
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used Yes
    Focal Length 420 mm
    Exposure Time 1/60 sec
    Aperture f/10
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance (4)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Male Goldfinch
    original.
    Date/Time 24-Apr-2005 16:47:59
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used Yes
    Focal Length 420 mm
    Exposure Time 1/160 sec
    Aperture f/7.1
    ISO Equivalent 320
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance (4)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    With birds like that off your front porch, I can hardly believe you'd let the D2H out of your hand for more than a minute! Great pictures....

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

First of all, more great shots!! I would never have known that the first couple were at ISO 800 if you hadn't mentioned it.

Secondly, what is wrong with your D2H? Did I miss something somewhere?

Regards,

Frank

4. Thanks Frank Yea the metering went on it last week been shooting in manual going to Nikon tomorrow where did you send your Melville or Torrance

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Oh, yeah. I must be getting Alzheimer's Sheesh!! :oops:

I remember now. I also remember telling you that you would do fine without it, and at least you proved me right on that point. 8)

Frank

6. Very nice images Mike. I love the detail on the goldfinch, beautiful image. Hope your D2H fix goes well.

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    nice front porch you got. good looking birdies also.

8. Those are great Mike, my neighborhood hawk is keeping my birds on the skittish side.

Your using the 300 f4 and the 1.4 tc aren't you, nice combo.

Martin

9. Great shots, Mike. Gotta git me a porch if that's what a porch offers! Hope your baby comes back to you soon - the separation anxiety can be a killer *LOL*

10. Nice shots Mike. Those birds look healthy and well fed. :D :D :D

11. Excellent shots Mike. I have a question about using your flash. Is there a distance(focal length)where is becomes useless?I have only used a flash for fill outside when I have a short lens on..

12. Mike, these are all great shots, but that goldfinch is just superb, perfect backdrop. I wish I could see such beautiful birds from my front porch :)

Regards,
    -Vinod

13. Thanks Leigh, I do get in my fair share of trouble for sneaking out when I should be doing some other things.

14. Thanks Gordon there are some different finches that even have more striking color just haven't been able to get them in a natural setting to shoot them. I hope they take care of my baby while they have it.

15. thanks Greg i have about 4 feeders around and will be adding a hummingbird feeder to see if I can give these little guys a shot.

16. thanks, the other day I was out front and all of a sudden all the bids just took off looking up I could see a hawk of some sort soar by, in a few minutes the birds returned. The 300 f4 and 1.4 is a killer combination.

17. Thanks Sandy I have set it up nicely many feeders with some natural perches setup to give the birds places to stop in and out on the way to the feeders.
    I hope they take care of my baby, I have heard positive things regarding the D2H repairs so I am looking forward to getting it back.

18. Thanks Bryan OH they are well fed to the tune of about 10-15 dollars every ten days!

19. thank you
    These shots were taken at a range of about 10-20 feet so I had to dial in some negative compensation. there is a limit to the effectiveness of the flash but there are tools like the Better Beamer for extending the range of the SB800

20. Vinod
    thanks you so much, thes birds are jsut so beautiful, I still havent wuite got the shot I want but will keep trying when my D2H gets back from the hospital!